Pros & Cons to Slide-Out Covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If we have rain collected on our topper when preparing to leave, I pick up the stablizers and use the tongue jack to raise/lower causing the water to run off fore/afte of the slide. I then re-level with the tongue jack so I can retract the slide in the level position. I also use a broom to sweep the rolling edge of the topper as DW runs the retract button. Our rule is always extend/retract with one on the inside and other on the outside watching/monitoring.

I vote "for".  Our larger topper needs to be replaced right now.  I think some stitching rotted and it started to come loose.  Between you and I,since the hubby is not on this forum,I think we could have fixed it.  But nooo,he had to keep fooling with it.  So we bought new material and hope to replace it this weekend.  I don't look forward to it. 

I think they are worth it if you camp in leafy,pine cone areas.  Otherwise I think you need a ladder and broom to clear the slides.

Pugapooh said:
I vote "for".  Our larger topper needs to be replaced right now.  I think some stitching rotted and it started to come loose.  Between you and I,since the hubby is not on this forum,I think we could have fixed it.  But nooo,he had to keep fooling with it.  So we bought new material and hope to replace it this weekend.  I don't look forward to it. 

I think they are worth it if you camp in leafy,pine cone areas.  Otherwise I think you need a ladder and broom to clear the slides.

Would love to hear back from you after this weekend of replacing the topper. I know what my wife would say if I told her she was going to help me replace it but this a family forum and I can't put it on here. 

Good luck!!!  You'll need it.

Yeah,I can't post my true feelings!  I might still get out of it,depending on what the son-in-law is doing.  Hubby told me once that his co-workers feel sorry for me.  I pity guys who have to work with him!

Sometimes mandatory!  When I damaged the topper on my front passenger side slide I found that Winnebego  designed the slide lock so that it used a ~3 x 6 inch hole in the top center of the slide. It does have a lip,  but once the fabric was removed water flooded into the MH the first time it rained. :(  Sad thing is that the lock never worked anyway.

Ernie

Seems a poor design if Winnebago depends on the topper to keep water out.  Wind driven rain easily gets under any topper and floods the roof of the slide. Hope that "lip" is plenty high!

It's just under 0.5 inch. The lock apparently is supposed to rotate up to engage a bar or socket above the slide.  From a mechanical point of view this is probably the location that requires the least beef in the mechanism. And, I have to admit that it has never leaked (it's centered in an about eight foot slide). Still, this is a $225k motor home.

Ernie

Last winter I had my coach washed at my campsite. They washed the slideouts under the toppers. We had a lot of water get inside through one lock. From now on, we'll tell them to not wash under the toppers. Gotta say they were very thorough.

Back
Top Bottom