Pros & Cons to Slide-Out Covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedSonia29

We're looking at purchasing a new TT in the next month or so. The TT that we most like has a single slide, but has no cover over the slide. I see benefit in covering the slide from twigs, bird poop, and other detritus that could potentially cause problems with the slide seals and gears. When we purchase, I'd like to have a slide cover added, but my husband is indifferent, saying the slides are designed for that sort of thing and that the cover could probably wait until there's an issue (I tend to be more proactive about potential issues).

I've seen several in RV store catalogs and have pulled out a few to add to our list of preferred items as we begin negotiations with several dealers.

I see the pros of adding a slide cover, but am curious as to some of the cons. What about professional installation at purchase vs. installing it ourselves after the fact? (Both the spousal unit and I are pretty handy with tools).

Suggestions? Brand recommendations?

I can't address the post-purchase of adding on slide toppers, but definitely slide toppers help keep debris off the top of the slide.  Think about being caught in a rain storm when there are a lot of leaves on top of the slide because you've been parked for long enough to have leaf accumulation.  The rain hits the leaves and then they stick and become a wet gooey mess that is hard to get off.  Toppers help alleviate this condition.  Also, when it's been raining a lot and you bring the slide in, you do it slowly to help the water slosh off the sides of the topper.  We've seen some real "gushers" off the toppers as we bring in the slides.  Toppers also help prevent water from accumulating on the top of the slide near the gaskets where potential leaks might occur.  Finally, if you're in the hot desert with the sun beating down, anything extra like toppers helps keep the sun off the top of the slide which in turn helps keep the inside of the RV cooler.  I highly recommend slide toppers.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Finally, if you're in the hot desert with the sun beating down, anything extra like toppers helps keep the sun off the top of the slide which in turn helps keep the inside of the RV cooler.  I highly recommend slide toppers.
@ArdraF, we live in Utah and frequently camp around the western US. Would you suggest a lighter color slide cover or a black one? White would reflect light, keeping things cooler, but black absorbs light. Do you think black would warm the inside of the trailer too much, or only minimally (I could definitely see benefit for a black cover in cooler weather).

Other than for aesthetic reasons, would there really be much difference in using white or black? (I saw in one catalog that they can match exterior design colors for a better aesthetic, if preferred).

We always prefer light over dark colors, whether it's awnings, windshield covers, or car colors because they aren't as hot.  Shortly after moving to the desert we were looking for a new car and had firm proof of reflection vs. absorption.  Right next to one another in a row was a black car, a relatively light gray car, and a white car.  This was summer.  You couldn't put your hand on the black car except to touch your finger to it briefly.  The gray car was somewhat better but you still couldn't leave your hand on it for long.  The white car was significantly better and we decided right then and there that we would stick with white or another very light color.  We've always wondered why people buy black cars when they live in a hot sunny climate!

Our slide toppers are the same fabric as our window awnings because all were installed by the manufacturer and they're a lighter blue to match our 3-shades of blue exterior.  The main part of the RV is the light shade and is up higher while the darker shade is in the swirl and down lower.

ArdraF

I have 4 slides and they all have toppers. I also camp in areas that usually have alot of trees with leaves, twigs and branches. I wouldn't be without them.

Suggest to your husband that a slide topper can be considered similar to a floor mat at the entrance to your RV where you would wipe your feet upon entering. It's not required, but it eliminates a lot of dirt, grime, mud, etc. from entering the coach. It's a reasonable addition to your coach entrance.

Now a slide topper is also not required, but it eliminates a lot of grime, dirt, leaves, twigs, etc. from running up against your slide seals and possibly entering your coach.

Now in the first example, a husband (surely not yours) might say, "Big deal, the DW is responsible to clean the floor if it's dirty so what's the benefit to me in buying a floor mat?" This conversation would not happen. You would buy a floor mat.

In the second example, consider who would be responsible to repair/replace any damaged slide seals, or to fix any damage from leaks caused by debris caught in seals that compromise them? "Big deal, might say DW, I'm not responsible to fix these kinds of problems with the coach." This conversation would not happen. You would buy a slide topper.

Why these toppers are not included as a standard feature of all slide installations is beyond me. My 2 cents--buy the topper. For the heating/cooling reasons mentioned in the previous posts, but also for the practical reasons to protect seals from UV light deterioration and protection from debris and grime. In my humble opinion, it's a no brainer.

So, you asked about the cons. --- The only "con" might be the added cost of professional installation vs self installed. My considered opinion is, you don't buy an RV to save money. You buy an RV for the wonderful experiences you can have in no other way. The additional cost of professional installation needs to be considered against the total cost of your RV, the opportunity cost of your taking the time to do the installation yourself, and the work of the job itself - working over your head with scaffolding or ladders, (finding a level spot) getting the correct fasteners, sealers, spring tension--etc.

I'd recommend getting the topper, and would opt for professional installation.

Good luck, and maybe I'll see you down the road.

Welcome to the Forum!

Absolutely, get the topper!  While this example may not apply to must of your beautiful state, what happens when a stick of decent size falls on the slide?  You can not get the slide closed.  The stick stops the slide from closing.  Now, you must reopen the slide, get a ladder out, clean off the top of the slide, put the ladder away and close the slide again.  If you had a topper, that stick would just fall off the topper as you close the slide.  You may never know it was there.

Side note:  When you go shopping, ask the dealer for their "out the door" price, which includes purchase price, dealer prep, delivery, document fees, all taxes, title transfer costs and plates.  This is the only way you can easily compare prices.  Some places have rock bottom prices and sky high fees, while others have fair prices and few fees.

Enjoy the Search!

The only concern is when it is really windy outside.  At times, it is better to close the slide if it is too windy.  Otherwise, I agree with others.

A couple of cons:

They flap a lot in the wind and can make a lot of noise.

They can freeze up and fail to retract when you try to run the slide out in.

We've had RV's with and without the slide out toppers.  We haven't had them of our last two fifth wheels and don't miss them.  If there are a lot of leaves, etc., Dan sweeps them off from the roof of the trailer.  You can always after them installed as a after market item.

Jeannine

Jeannine said:
They can freeze up and fail to retract when you try to run the slide out in.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by freeze up. Do you mean the roll mechanism not turning or water freezing up on top? If you mean the roll mechanism, I've had toppers for 20 years on various rigs and never had that problem and never ever heard of that problem with anyone else. If it happened to you, i'ts probably 1 out of 10,000 that this would happen. These numbers are only me guessing only to show that it must be very rare to have that happen.

We've had 2 rigs each with 1 slide. The first did not have a topper and we never had a problem. I did have to be cognizant of debris, though. Most times I just cleaned it when we got home but our last trip every year is at a campground with tons of pine trees. I had to get up top before we left to clean it otherwise it made a real mess of the seals. I also spent a considerable amount of time cleaning it before storing for the winter.

Our current rig has a topper and the only con I've seen so far is that it pools water so I make sure to unhook everything and close the slide absolutely last. When the rig was new to us, I was dumping the tanks once when Kim started to close it and I got an unexpected shower!

Rene T said:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by freeze up. Do you mean the roll mechanism not turning or water freezing up on top? If you mean the roll mechanism, I've had toppers for 20 years on various rigs and never had that problem and never ever heard of that problem with anyone else. If it happened to you, i'ts probably 1 out of 10,000 that this would happen. These numbers are only me guessing only to show that it must be very rare to have that happen.

I did see it happen to a guy at a campground in Louisiana one time.  The rig was brand new, 2nd trip out.  He told me that he had asked the dealer, after the first trip to tighten the topper and they said they couldn't for some reason.  It was slow to roll up when full of rain, and ended up getting caught between the slide and the wall.  He was not pleased with his dealership.

That being said, I love my topper and wouldn't be without it.  When we've had a lot of rain, I just bring the slide in a bit at a time and wait for the water to roll off the ends.  My coach is almost 19 years old and I've never had a problem.

OK, I am different . I agree with your hubby

My slide has the same material as the roof of my trailer, so why cover it until I spot a leak, in which case I'll repair the leak just as I would if I spotted a leak in the roof.

I keep a ladder with us so I can easily clean it from debris and keep it clean.

On the other hand if I couldn't get to it, I might consider a topper

Jack L

Rene T said:

It was after an unexpected and wet snowstorm.  Dan swept the snow off the roof and the slideout toppers. The bedroom slide out came in with a crunching noise.  When I checked outside, the topper fabric was hanging down the side of the trailer.  It was frozen stiff.  We delayed our  departure until the topper thawed enough to roll up.

Jeannine

The good:
[list type=decimal]
[*]It might keep a bit of debris off the top of your slide, IF the debris isn't blown by any wind and falls perfectly straight downwards.
[/list]

The Bad:
[list type=decimal]
[*]VERY noisy in even the slightest wind. (I keep a length of paracord in my RV to tie a loop around my slideout to stop the damn drum noise.
[*]squeeks while driving. (not critical, but irritating)
[*]My RV mechanic tells me it's POSSIBLE for the topper to cause actuation problems in the slideout, although I can't imagine how
[*]Doesn't keep water or debris out of the mechanism well, because wind blows debris and water sideways.
[/list]

Slide Out Toppers are a personal preference. And, not a cost issue. The most (or almost) expensive motorhome is a Newell. Newell's do not have Slide Toppers. And, the majority of Prevost do not have Slide Toppers. I removed the Slide Topper from our 2005 Chinook Glacier.

They can be really helpful when trees are directly overhead.  Pine trees in particular will drop needles like a light snowstorm.  Leaves, twigs and other debris can be a problem.  Rain water can be brought in on top of wet slide.

The good:

1.  It might keep a bit of debris off the top of your slide, IF the debris isn't blown by any wind and falls perfectly straight downwards.
It also keeps tree sap from collecting on the slide, and the debris (or rain) doesn't have to fall straight down -- they can come from an angle and most of the slide is still protected, under most conditions.

1. VERY noisy in even the slightest wind. (I keep a length of paracord in my RV to tie a loop around my slideout to stop the damn drum noise.
For mine, it takes quite a bit more than "even the slightest wind" and is also dependent on the wind direction.

2. squeeks while driving. (not critical, but irritating)
I haven't noticed this. I get some squeeks, but generally from other things, not from the slides.

3. My RV mechanic tells me it's POSSIBLE for the topper to cause actuation problems in the slideout, although I can't imagine how
I suppose if the topper locked up tight that might happen, but I've never encountered that, nor heard of it.

4. Doesn't keep water or debris out of the mechanism well, because wind blows debris and water sideways.
In practice, it is rare to get much of this, usually a little at the end from which the wind blows.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrWil
Back
Top Bottom