protecting tow vehicle from stones etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CP

Not sure of the best way to protect the tow vehicle from road debris.
I read where the soft skirt type can lift up and not protect and that the hard
type cause additional drag.  Is there anything else to look into that may be
a better choice?

Thanks for your input.

Chuck

I second what Dutch said, the Protect a tow is very easy to hook up and does a good job. Stows away in its own bag when not in use, and not that expensive to purchase.
Bill

Here's another recent thread on the subject....http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=58073.0

It's my belief that the length of your rear overhang past the rear wheels and the frontal area of your towed have a lot to do with how much debris you will have colliding with your towed vehicle. I have had no real problems for two and a half years in two DP coaches with full width rockguards on the coach.  Your mileage may vary. 8)

I can show you what a toad will look like in Chicken, Alaska on a wet day if you DON'T protect it.

Attachments

• 100_0906a.jpg
    100_0906a.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 77
I can show you what a toad will look like in Chicken, Alaska on a wet day if you DON'T protect it.
LOL, boy that looks familiar! We were there this past Aug, couldn't believe the construction on the TOTW highway. We were driving the toad, thank goodness, would have never made it in a 36' towing because of the construction. Had a couple on a MC go down in front of us, she was airlifted to local hospital. Except for the dredge in Chicken I was disappointed with all the fanfare and would have passed up the 4 hr drive if I had known what I know now. Highway to the sun in Glacier is a much nicer drive!

I don't think anything but an armored Zip Loc would protect you in Alaska, just sayin... 
Also very true and funny. Got a kick out of all the signs saying no MW washing in just about all CG unless you used theire carwash. Washed the bugs off the windshield and front end every night it didn't rain and was good to go.
FIL used a leather cover on his toad. Goes over the windshield and ties off to the fenders, front bumper and is held at the door jams. Does an excellent job but what a pain to put on and take off. I like the protect-a-tow above.

Thanks all!

I have a large drop from the bottom of the MH to the toad. My drop down is the largest made by blue ox.
Do you think the Protect A Tow will work with a large drop? Also do you need to drill holes in the tow vehicle?

Thanks
Chuck

The Protect-A-Tow will work with a large drop adapter, but you may need to adjust the coach mounting points in a bit to allow for some slack in the middle.  Two eyebolts are installed on the toad under the front valance/airdam. Smaller eyes could be used than the ones supplied to make them less noticeable if you felt the need. I painted all of the visible tow hardware on my toad, including the PAT eyes, flat black to blend it in.

I use the Protect A Tow when towing my Honda Fit.  It's light weight and less expensive than some of the other ones.  I'm a true believe after having hit a plastic lawn chair on the freeway.  A P/U in front of me was loading with lawn chairs and other things.  Nothing was tied down which is often the case in California.  Why tie anything down when it takes time and in most case nothing will fall out.  I've never seen anyone get a ticket for unsecured loads.  Maybe it's not against the law in California.  Anyway the chair flew out of the P/U and I hit it straight on.  There was over $2000.00 damage to my MH, and no damage to the toad.  I suspect if I didn't have Protect a Tow there would have been some damage to the toad.

We did TOWH without the rain. It doesn't matter. The toad looked the same. We used a Protect-A-Tow. At the end of the day, there was always a small pile of gravel in the center of the mat. There was also a small amount of gravel at the base of the windshield.

Back
Top Bottom