Pulling a Trailer behind Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CurtRR

Because I'll need to take my reloading shop with me, I'll be pulling a trailer behind the MH with the toad inside.? I've tried to avoid it, but that seems to be the only solution that works.? We'll be moving full time into the coach when we sell our house next spring, and retiring next fall and going from one Cowboy Action Shooting match to another, along with typical sightseeing, etc.

Initially I planned on a 22 ft. trailer.? A friend of mine doing this has that length trailer and has had few problems (what you would expect with camping spaces not long enough).? That means an overall length of 25.7 feet.? 25.7 feet added to a MH that's 40.7 ft. puts the whole rig at about 66 ft., not legal in some places, but, apparently, not enforced.? Texas is 65 ft.  I'll risk it.

But a couple of trailer dealers have suggested going to a 24 ft. trailer, overall length 27.7 ft.? The shop and the toad will fit in the smaller trailer, but I could use the room.  Things will be cramped in the 22.

Having seen a few 45' coaches pulling trailers longer than that I know it CAN be done.? What I'm trying to determine is whether it will present any more problems than the shorter trailer.

If you have a trailer, what problems are you encountering?

For  what it's worth  I have a 98 460 Banks Pak 37' Pace Arrow with tag axle and tow a 24' Enclosed Car hauler, an inside is a Lincoln Town Car.  Been hauling this for years With the old trailer and now the new one.  I'm very concious about brakes  29K miles  and have changed brakes on MH twice  I hav e 5 axles on ground and it brakes great.

I will be pulling a 24 foot V nose race car trailer with my KS DP.  I think you will be just fine.  In fact, I would rather take my garage with me rather than pull my car all 4 down.  If it storms, just pull the car into the garage. ;D  That said, I also notice most parks I visit have an area to drop a trailer out of the way if the pull through is not long enough.  you may just need to plan ahead a little more than the average home pulling just a toad on the ground.

I really love the look of a MH pulling a trailer matching the coach paint scheme.  I will have my painter match mine up this winter for grins...

Good luck.

P.S.  Lets see those pics once out of the shop.

Love those Newmars.

Jeff

Gasser said:
I really love the look of a MH pulling a trailer matching the coach paint scheme.? I will have my painter match mine up this winter for grins...

Good luck.

P.S.? Lets see those pics once out of the shop.

Love those Newmars.

Jeff

I'm considering getting the trailer painted to match the coach.? I've seen several, and it does look cool.? When I was looking at Holiday Ramblers they said they would do it for $1500, and the salesman thought that was high.? The Newmar dealer said $5000.? If I get it painted, obviously, it won't be there.? I'll get quotes from the 2 body shops I've been sending customers to for 25 years.  If  they're in the $5000 range it'll remain white.

Photos will come after delivery.

I finally found a trailer dealer who actually knew what he was talking about and had good ideas about what really works, so the trailer's a lot closer than it was a couple of days ago.  It turned out he had bought 2 cars from me.

Just a caution when pulling trailers, or anything else, behind a motorhome. Watch your weights and lengths.  Never exceed the GVWR, GCVWR, or the hitch capacity.  Also just because one is licensed in a state where the maximum allowed length is 80 ft you still have to adhere to the maximum length limits even in states where the maximum is only 65 ft.  Weights and lengths are not covered under reciprocal agreements between states.

While it is true that generally states do not stop RV/s to weigh or measure them it is done on occasion. We have seen RV/s pulled over with the Highway patrol measuring length as well as pulling scales out to weigh. Also driving a rig that is over weight or length can expose one to serious liability issues should one become involved in an accident even if the other party was at fault. 

Some motorhome hitches are only rated for 3000 lbs, some only 5000, while some are 10,000lbs.  For your own safety as well as the safety of others Know and remain withing your your hitch capacities as well as the GVWR/GCVWR for your rig and never exceed them or the legal length allowed in the state you are traveling in.

The last time we were returning from Texas to Yuma and if I remember correctly it was in New Mexico.  Couple years ago a guy was complaining the AZ HP asked him to pull into that weigh station and when at the weigh station they had him disconnect his 30 ft trailer from his 45 ft Wonderlodge and have the trailer pulled by a properly licensed tow truck  to his destination in AZ.  He was not a happy camper.

The price of the paint job will vary according to the elegance of the design. If you want to match the multi-colored swirls of a Newmar full body paint job, $5000 is the right ball park.  It takes  about 5 days and a crew of several people to apply those gorgeous paint jobs at the factory - and that's with huge ovens to bake the finish quickly so the next layer can be added. If you just want a few swaths of similar colors applied to the trailer, $1500 is closer.

I think an enclosed trailer is a great idea.  I hope to put the little X Type Jag in it with two motorcycles.  A Jeep Wrangler may replace the Jag.  That is a decision I rather not make now as I love that little car.  The Wrangler comes in at 13 feet and the two motorcycles, which can be side by side, are about 6 feet long.  I figure I can get away with 22 feet of trailer and will attache it to a 38' MHDP.  I will get a cheaper trailer, perhaps a Pace.  I figure 2000lbs for the trailer, 3050lbs for the Jeep, and 900lbs for the bikes totalling 5,950lbs.  Tools and extra stuff will total another 500lbs.  The Jag is a bit heavier and longer and will be figured in as we progress if we decide to keep it. 

Paint jobs!  I know a real good painter in Alb. who is very reasonable.  If I am not happy with that,  Mexico may have some really good money saving deals and should be considered.

Just some of my ideas...Phil 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom