Pulling over a curb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elm_tx

Hi Y'all,

We have a 36' 5er that lives in a storage lot not too far from  the house, they do not allow for washing it on their premises. I live in a cul-de-sac that is fairly deep and has a pretty good bend about half way up the street. I don't think we have enough room to turn it around and get straight to drive out and would rather not back it out do to the bend in the road. So bringing it to the front of the house to be washed and waxed is not a good option. I've also heard that it should not be taken to a pressure car wash either.

However there is a large field (probably the size of 3 football fields) that is real level running behind the house. To get into the field would require pulling it through a parking lot and over a curb that is about 6 inches high.

My question is, would I be taking a chance of damaging the 5er (dual axle)  if I built ramps about a 1 to 1.5 feet long and pulled it over the curb that way? By the time I hit the ramp the truck and 5er would be in a straight line perpendicular to the ramps. Since it does not seem like there is much (if any) suspension I'm not sure if I would do damage pulling it over the curb.

I think I'd be OK, but before I do something stupid and wind up with a couple thousand dollar repair bill, I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks,
Eddie

The 5th wheel has more suspension than you think.  Lay a 4x4 next to the curb, a 2x4 next to it and you'll have all the ramp you need.

The whole thing is going to depend on geometry.    The factors would be the rear ovehang of your trailer, its clearance above the ground and the trailer plumbing that might be in the way.   The suspension may not be much but that is not going to work for you.   You have too choices.  One is measure overhang and clearances and work out the geometry on paper with a scale and compass.  The other is to build your ramp and move the trailer over it veeerrry carefully using a pair of observers -- one on each side.  Be ready to toss the job up as a bad deal if things look iffy.

Thanks,

Sounds like I don't need to worry about structural damage (which was my concern) but I do need to watch for clearance. I've got about a 10' overhang behind the back wheels so will watch Very closely!!!

Thanks for the feedback.  :)

Eddie

I would check out the field very carefully.  You got a lot of weight there, and I've seen the impressions a truck left in my lawn.  You would not want to get it stuck.
Art

Our D has the same situation.  She backs her 5'er up over the curb, over the lawn, and end's up with it being on an angle in the driveway to clear the sidewalk.  Gets done with whatever she has to do.  Water, supplies, etc.........  She can leave it there for 48 hrs. per her local ord.  But she has great neighbors, so she has had it there up to a week. 

It's been three years now.  She has never hit the mail box.  And doesn't worry about the curb anymore, cause the potholes on the freeway will do a lot more damage.

We took our TT, and both of our 5'ers to the local quarter wash.  Have never had a problem.  Sometimes you can find a wand on the side of the building, if you can't find a car wash that has the clearance.  Than we would head to the day use area of the state park to wax.

Just be careful, use some common sense, and all will work out.  Where's there's a will, there's a way.

Good Luck
Barb

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom