Putting air in tire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RRBob

I have a class C motorhome with dual rear tires.  The left inner tire will not take air.  I can let air out, but not put air in.
I have valve extenders installed.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi RRBob,

I'm guessing that you don't have the air chuck aligned properly. I run into this a lot at a dealership where I work part time. It can be frustrating to say the least! Try to move the chuck slightly to see if you can get a good connection. If not, remove the wheel simulators and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

You might try swapping the extender with the one on the right. Maybe the little stem on the Schrader valve got a little bent and cannot open the valve on your air chuck. Also check the rubber seal on the inside of the air chuck for damage, wear, or age hardness. Might be just enough to work on one valve and not another.

It is not the air chuck (almost new), and it is not misalignment (my son drives a race car, so I am VERY familiar with putting air into tires).  I did replace the Schrader valve but that did not help.
Thanks

Hmmm....., puzzling.

Will it take air from just the tire valve stem minus the extender? Yeah, I know it's a pain. Did you try swapping the extenders? Also a pain. I know you said the chuck is almost new, but it still could be off just enough to work properly on one valve and not another. The  two tests above may help pinpoint the problem.

RRBob said:
It is not the air chuck (almost new), and it is not misalignment (my son drives a race car, so I am VERY familiar with putting air into tires).  I did replace the Schrader valve but that did not help.
Thanks

My personal air chuck will not fill many of the tires at work. The shop air chuck works on most of them. There's a slight difference in the angle of the chuck that does not allow it to connect properly. They look the same but aren't.

OK, I tried 3 different chucks, none of them worked.? I took the MH to a nearby Goodyear tire and ask them to put air in it.? Net results, 4 lbs. less air than I started with.? Will try Karl"s suggestions as soon as I get a chance, but right now I'm involved in a much bigger project.? (Rebuilding the front overhang on a class C due to water damage).
Thanks

Hi RRBOB,

Sorry to hear none of the chucks worked. Guess it's time for a new valve stem. It's conceivable that it might have been bent somewhat at one time. Hope the repairs to the overhang are not too involved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom