Quartzsite 2023 Rally - anyone want to organise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dick, the dump station and water fill is about 2 miles away from our standard campsite in Tyson Wash, just across Hwy 95. Huge trash dumpsters are there too, but there are some smaller dumpsters a bit closer. We do like Wendy, get a permit, dump and fill, then go to our site. We are fairly profligate in our water usage though, so we just go dump once a week or so! You can get more general information about the area by looking on the BLM website for “Arizona LTVA” areas. There are also hundreds of reviews and videos about the area.
I understand there is a RV show at this time as well. How far is the show site?

" A designated area" is probably the wrong words,, the "area" we use is known as area 541 on the BLM map,,( on the entrance road are plastic road markers that have been badly worn over the years and can be hardly read anymore.. The "area" is 11.000 square acres large,, and "designated area" just doesn't fit when you can choose ANYWHERE you wish to park.. When looking at the aerial views , you can see that most park any way they choose and any direction that they prefer....so to say its "loose" is an understatement..
This year as always is the "RV show" that is located on the south edge of town, two miles north of the campsite,, this year it will be 9 days long and more than enough to keep you busy.. It has to be seen to be believed.. you will feel like one of the sardines in the can..>>>Dan

Note that this year’s “QIA PowWow”, the big rock and gem show, is 18-22 January. This is great fun. There are dozens of rock vendors in town all year, but this show brings in a large number of national and international vendors. My DIL wants me to find her a large amethyst geode this year, and I am sure to find one here. The show is held just a few blocks east of the RV show grounds. BTW, QIA stands for Quartzsite Improvement Association, and they coordinate music shows, parades, and other small town entertainment in addition to the PowWow. Also note the QIA PowWow has no real native component; it is just the name chosen many, many years ago.

The Rubber Tramp Rendevous presented by HOWA and Bob Wells' Cheap RV Living YouTube channel will be taking place just before our RV Forum Rally. The RTR may be interesting to sample, they promote the nomadic van life featured in the movie "Nomadland" including how to make your own low cost RV out of a car, van, school bus or cargo trailer and how to find free or low cost camping on public lands.

For the first 10 years the RTR was pretty much self-contained within it's own community with participants camping at the event location. This made it somewhat intimidating for "outsiders" to attend as camping on-site meant you had to fully commit to the experience, somewhat like going to Burning Man.

A couple of years ago they transitioned to a more typical show format, holding daytime seminars in a central location while attendees camp elsewhere along with everyone else on nearby BLM lands. Last year and again this year the RTR will be at the Quartzsite Town Park baseball field, with free admission and day use parking. Bring your own chairs.

The RTR takes place January 13-20 with the Women's RTR preceeding it from January 7-12. The Quartzsite RV Show and our RV Forum Rally are from January 21-29. So it would be practical to include sampling the RTR as well as attending our rally on a single two week LTVA permit. Details on the RTR are available on the HOWA web site.

And here's a video highlighting the 2022 RTR that took place last January.

Does anyone know anything about a new dump station going in at Tyson Wash? We may have a problem 😳

I am going to call the Yuma BLM office in an hour or so. I will report back. Note the are fencing off a huge chunk of Tyson Wash for the construction. North side of the road from west of old Yuma Rd to near the gate building.

BIG NEWS
I have talked to a BLM supervisor for the LTVA areas near Quartzsite. The location we have always used in Tyson Wash is going to be impacted by construction for the next year or more. They are installing a new well, water fill, dump stations, and the associated leach field needed. The area is being fenced off from the north side of the main “road” from just west of the gate house to past Old Yuma Road. This is the other side of where we stay, but an awful lot of people do stay in the area and will be displaced. It means everything open will be more crowded this year and maybe next. The very nice man I talked to actually knows our group and where we stay! He recommended we get a few people to set up as early as we can and spread out as much as possible. Yes, it is kind of squatting, and we would never tell someone else it is “our” spot, but we can nicely discourage others from parking there if we spread out cars and rigs. We will probably be there late the second week of January, or early the third week. Anyone who is planning on getting there earlier than the scheduled rally time, please speak up!

Back in the day, we didn't have cameras on drones. Videos taken and posted the last few years are a welcome addition to the information here. Meanwhile, here are a few non-video reports from prior years:

Quartzsite Impresssions written by Jim Dick
Quartzsite Rally Directions written by Jerry Fitzgerald, illustrated by Tom Jones *
The Quartzsite Experience written by Tom Jones

* Note: The January 2023 QZ rally location is likely to be different due to planned construction. Scroll down in this thread to see the information.

Last edited:
You have to know that other areas that provide dump services WILL raise prices.>>>Dan
I am totally confused Dan. These are additional services to what has been (and continues to be) at La Posa South. They are being added by BLM, not private enterprise. I can’t imagine that the Pit Stop, for example, will raise prices because there are more dump lanes. There are still thousands of acres to stay in LTVA areas, even Tyson Wash.

Jackie, I am still planning the rally will be in the same area, just maybe with other/more people around. If we can get a few people to show up early enough and spread out some, we should be ok.

Jackie, I am still planning the rally will be in the same area, just maybe with other/more people around. If we can get a few people to show up early enough and spread out some, we should be ok.
It was just in case they dug that area up. I'm not familiar enough with the area to know if that's likely so thought I'd mention it. 🙂

I am sure that hwy 95 is north and south,, and the location of the camping area 541 is WEST of that hwy.. That would make the dump station EAST of hwy 95.. When speaking of "the main road" be specific..>>>D

I am sure that hwy 95 is north and south,, and the location of the camping area 541 is WEST of that hwy.. That would make the dump station EAST of hwy 95..>>>D
That's my recollection too.

Back
Top Bottom