Question about adding a 50 amp rv panel at our family reunion site.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to contradict, but that is incorrect. Standard RV 50A service is 240v and exactly the same as a dryer or stove outlet. Both 120v and 240v are available with that type of electrical service. Yes, the load center (breaker box) in a 50A RV has two separate bus bars, but so does standard residential electric service. Each branch circuit can get either 120v or 240v, depending on the breaker type selected.

There are RVs that have one of more 240v appliances - that has become increasingly common in higher end "all-electric" models and may be used to power 240v clothes dryers or inductive cooktops.
One point, dryer outlets are not 50a so not relevant to rvs

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 50amp RV post?

I am closing in on getting power on the property and I am thinking to have both a 30amp and 50amp plug in. My RV only needs 30amp but planning ahead...

Sorry for thread hijack... Probably should start my own post.

The only difference between an RV 50 amp outlet and a Electric range or dryer outlets.
ONE: some are different sizes (a range is typically 40 amp and may be a slightly smaller plug) Wired the exact same Hot, Neutral, Hot and safety ground

Dryer may be a 3-wire HOT, HOT, and safety ground (or 4 wire depending on the make/model and installer)

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 50amp RV post?

I am closing in on getting power on the property and I am thinking to have both a 30amp and 50amp plug in. My RV only needs 30amp but planning ahead...

Sorry for thread hijack... Probably should start my own post.
If you get a "Post" like this that I installed at my house, it is prewired inside and all you have to do is attach the two hot leg, neutral and ground.

The layout of the pins is different to distinguish the lower amperage, but it is electrically identical to RV 50A except for that. With a suitable adapter, a 50A RV can be plugged into the standard 30A/240v dryer outlet.
I would add that the dryer outlet MUST be the newer 4 prong 30A/240V outlet and not the old style found in older homes that is just 3 prongs. The 3 prong does not have a neutral return wire. Just 2 hot wires and a safety ground. Additionally the wiring in older homes may have a smaller gauge wire for the safety ground than the 2 hot wires. So if you try to use the safety ground as a neutral return you will overload the wire when RV draws high amperage.

The diagram is obvious
There are two Hot Busses the Breakers connect to.. those get the two "Legs" of the power feed

A third buss connects to the 3rd blade on the 50 amp. (the breakers connect to the other two) may have a white wire or 3 connected to it already (20 and 30 amp)

The Safety Ground is the remaining buss goes to the wires (often green) connected to the "Roundish" holes in all 3 outlets.

Back
Top Bottom