Question about dinette seat cushions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeKan

I bought a vintage truck camper and the interior is in excellent shape that other than replace gaskets and re-chalking, I'm good to go. The seat cushions are in excellent shape as well. No rips or stains and still retains the firmness. My problem is it has that musty smell to it. It probably has never been cleaned and I'm not sure how to go about it. It is vinyl fabric and its' pulled tight and stapled to the back of plywood on each cushion. I would really love to find a way to clean it and keep it all original. Can someone give me suggestions? What would be my other options and what would the costs be?
Thanks so much,
Joe from Kansas

Setting them outside in the sun and wind for a few days will do wonders.  (not the rain, lol)

I'm thinking about tossing them and getting new ones because I don't think I can ever get rid of the mildew smell. Does anyone know how hard it would be to do it yourself? Where would I buy the material if I choose to go this route? Or, if I had someone do it, how much can I expect to pay? The seats are 21" x 48".
Thanks,
Joe

I replaced all the seat cushion materials on five 8' bench's for my daughters roller derby team. Had never ever done any seat cushion stuff ever before.

I wound up buying a air pressure stapler, about $35, already had the air compressor.  I went to the upholstery shop that does my car seats and convertible roofs, told them what I was doing and bought the material from them. You can also buy fabric at Walmart, JoAnns,etc

When you tear the seats out just look at how they did it to begin with and duplicate it. You've got nothing to lose so give it a shot.

And decent upholstery shop should be able to provide foam and vinyl (leatherette) or fabric to make seat cushions. The cost varies dramatically depending on the quality of the materials chosen. You really want  high density foam  so that the weight doesn't simply compress it flat (especially if your weight exceeds 150 lbs or so).  And better quality fabric/vinyl pays off in both a better look & feel and longer life.  The thinner/cheaper vinyls can also stretch, letting wrinkles form after a short while.

I think I'll just live with what I have. The upholster I found told me she is 10 weeks out. I'm going to pour a lot of baking soda on it tonight to see if that helps. I can put a mattress cover around it too.

vineger solution with water and lemon.  Soak it and leave it in the sun.

I sprayed both seats down with White Vinegar and water today and left them in the sun. I'm hoping they'll smell better tomorrow.  :))

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom