question about length of rig and camping site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henkelphoto

Hi guys!

I'm very new at rv'ing and am confused about what a campground means when they say that a site is good for a 35' rig. Does this include the tv with a travel trailer or just the trailer? We are getting a small trailer, only 23' long, tip to tip, but if you include the tv, then is works out to about 41'. If it does mean that it is for both the trailer and tv, if you are too long, is there usually somewhere else to park the tv?

There is no fixed rule, but generally it means there is about 35 ft from near the edge of the roadway to the first significant obstruction at the back of the site. How you use that space is up to you, as is where you park the tow vehicle.  The site may or may not be wide enough to accommodate a tow vehicle alongside, or maybe there is roadside parking or other alternatives. The variations are endless.

Often Rvs longer than that length can be fit in if you are skillful enough or are willing to have the back end overhang something. The space estimate is typically very conservative, to allow for unskilled drivers or those who run to a lawyer after they screw something up.

The posted length of a campsite refers to it's total length. If the campsite is listed at 25 feet, and your trailer is 24 feet long, you'll have one foot left over - not enough to keep the tow vehicle attached. Having said that, it's been my experience that the posted lengths are not always real accurate. There is often a little more room (length) than what is posted - maybe not enough room to keep your tow vehicle attached - but maybe enough to park it sideways. It reallty depends on the campground, but there is usually enough room at campsites to park a car (TV) alongside your RV.

Kev

My experience is that the measurement given is, at best, an approximation of how long the pad really is.  My trailer is 40' long and has fit easily into sites marked 30' and has been carefully squeezed into sites marked 50'.

The best thing to do is to call the campground directly and ask.  Some places list "pad" length if it has a cement pad in the middle of a pull-through driveway, and also "driveway" length, but most just give one distance, and it can vary widely.  I talked to one ranger who admitted that they measured the long side of each site!!  In another case, I was told that my 32' non-towing motorhome could easily fit in a 30' site because that campground allowed extra room for a tow vehicle. 

Another thing you can do is look for a photo of the specific site to see what is behind it.  If it is a wall or big rocks, you will not be able to hang over.  Google Maps is very good, also.

Another example, tonight we are in Countryside RV park in Dillon MT. The site is a pull through and angled as some are. I could not have left the CR-V connected and fit. By locating the coach (38ft) so the bumper is at the front edge I can park the toad to the long side of the space tight up to the coach and just fit. Not all places are as advertised.
That being said I have not found it that hard to find a place to park my condo.
Bill

Every year, our 32 foot motorhome magically shrinks to 25 feet for a weekend. That's the maximum length allowed in our favorite campsite in our favorite Rhode Island state park.

There's plenty of room, even with the Jeep parked in front. I'd guess there's no rhyme or reason to how they figure these things.

Back
Top Bottom