Question about my situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

che

Ok I would like to get some others point of view.

First of let me tell you what I want to do, then I will ask the question.

Idea
Buy a used RV, under $10k, and travel the country for 6-7 months.  I will probably put roughly 15-20,000 miles on the unit and do a lot of dry docking.

Qustion
Should I be worried about an older RV making the trip with no problem?  I am not as concerned about minor issues but more about major ones.

I have found some late 80's early 90's units with low miles - by low i mean 50-75k.  I know I have to do my homework on the unit but even by doing that there are no guarantees and I worry about it making the entire trip.

Thoughts?

A 15-25 year old RV with low miles means it has sat idle for much of its life and that is the worst thing you can do to a vehicle.  Expect to have numerous problems with such an RV.  A 10 year old RV with 100,000 miles would be a better choice.

Ned said:
A 15-25 year old RV with low miles means it has sat idle for much of its life and that is the worst thing you can do to a vehicle.  Expect to have numerous problems with such an RV.  A 10 year old RV with 100,000 miles would be a better choice.

I have looked at those too.

But I always keep coming back to just traveling in my car - which I trust will make it with no problem.  But I would much rather have the freedom of the RV.

Carl Lundquist said:
Put the money you would have put into an ancient motorhome and rent one.

Will they rent one for 6 months and with me planning to travel upwards of 20,000 miles?
I guess I just assumed it would be cheaper to buy a used one.

Che,

These guys are definitely the experts, but I can tell you from experience that the first motorhome
I owned was a 15 year old class A that had 7000 miles on it. With the money that I spent fixing
problems from Dry Rot, Mildew, Tires, lack of engine and body maintenance you could have a much
nicer later model unit or a nice rental. The worst thing in world for a vehicle especially in damper climates is to sit, you would be better off as the previous post said to have a later model vehicle with 150,000 miles.

Martin

che said:
Will they rent one for 6 months and with me planning to travel upwards of 20,000 miles?
I guess I just assumed it would be cheaper to buy a used one.

Price them out.  Long term rentals should get a break in price.  But in any case browse the web to get a picture.  El Monte Rents and Cruise America are reliable national firms.  Goggle them.  But there are others that could be better in your particular case.  Balance the costs and keep in mind that you will dump a thousand or two in any used vehicle repairing the reasons why the previous owner sold it.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.  I was worried about a few things and sometimes you just need someone else to say - yes be worried about it.

I have already fired off a few emails regarding renting a RV instead.  Plenty of time before the trip so we'll see what happens.

Thanks again.
CHE

Back
Top Bottom