Question about occasional thunk when braking on DP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelazyl

I have a basic question about my Fleetwood DP.  I use my exhaust brake most of the time which means I rarely have to press the brake pedal for a hard stop going more than just a few miles per hour.  When I do I sometimes hear a "thunk" near where my front wheels are - only when I have to come to a full stop at a speed of ~5-10 mph such as at a traffic light.  At first I thought it might be a shifting load in my storage bays (it still may be that - although I have learned to be better about stowing).

In a diesel pusher do the front wheels also have a braking mechanism?  Would this cause such a sound?

Might be worthwhile having the front suspension assembly checked

Yes, your front wheels have brakes.  Air brakes have their larger cylinders outside the wheel assembly, which means more linkages, etc. than hydraulic brakes.  Hydraulic brakes have their brake cylinders immediately adjacent to the brake shoes.

The noise is probably normal, but it wouldn't hurt to have someone check it out.

Noise is probably S cams sticking.
Next time you have wheels off to replace tires, have the service center clean and lube the linkage

Back
Top Bottom