Question about South Dakota driver's license

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
docj said:
I'm not denying that this has occurred, but I seriously doubt that the state can force you to get plates unless you have taken some step towards establishing residency in that state.  For most people getting a job is usually the key to establishing residency.  I suspect that many (most?) of those permanent rigs you described had occupants who were employed locally.  We are SD residents and own property in TX.  We spend half the year there but are not employed and haven't done any of the other things that would signal that we were becoming TX residents.  We see no conflict in that; lots of people own property in multiple states, but you can only be a resident of one of them.
If you leave your RV in Arizona permanently they can and HAVE done it. You may call Fiesta Grande RV Resort or the Pinal county assessor of course I only live in the park and had to get Arizona plates on my fiver that is permanent but what do I know.  Either plated or property tax assessment

darsben said:
If you leave your RV in Arizona permanently they can and HAVE done it. You may call Fiesta Grande RV Resort or the Pinal county assessor of course I only live in the park and had to get Arizona plates on my fiver that is permanent but what do I know.  Either plated or property tax assessment

Did your fiver have current plates from another state?  I've heard of permanents who have RVs without current plates who have been forced to get plates from the state where they are parked.

docj said:
Did your fiver have current plates from another state?  I've heard of permanents who have RVs without current plates who have been forced to get plates from the state where they are parked.
It did and I am done. It can happen it did happen and it may happen.
If it is in the state permanently. Some people put their rigs in storage when they are not in the park to avoid this.
And as I recall now when I used to have an RV in the Thousand Islands and the taxing authority which was the Town of Orleans in New York State came through each winter and assessed each RV that was on a site. This was added to the RV Park owners bill as separate line items and passed through to us in a bill.
In AZ I bet they use the part of their law which states "You remain in Arizona for a total of seven months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence."  RV there on site repeat on site not in a storage facility but on a site allows them to believe you are in the state or away temporarily. Notice it states "regardless of your permanent residence"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom