Question about winterizing/preparing for winter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SweetHomeFarm

We just recently took possession of our new coach(2024 freelander 27qb), it had very little water in the fresh tank, and some orange looking treatment in the toilet bowl. That being said, do I need to drain the fresh water tank and the water from the pipes in order to prepare for winter?
And if I am supposed to drain all of that, is there a good YouTube video describing how to?

Thanks,

Evan C.

If your region experiences sub-freezing temperatures for more than a few hours at a time, YES you must drain the water lines, water heater, and fresh & waste water tanks to avoid damage. I'm sure there are numerous YouTube videos but the specifics of what valves to turn are specific to a year/make/model of RV. The general procedure, tho, is the same. There is a text article in this sites Resource section at The RV Forum Community

Basically you open the drain valves for the fresh & waste tanks, which means you need a sewer line connection to avoid dumping waste on the ground. There is also a plug on the water heater to remove for draining. Then open a hot water faucet and a cold faucet and then the Low Point Drains on the water lines (you will probably have to search for them) to let the water escape. From that point there are two alternatives: (1) pump potable water antifreeze into the lines, or (2) use an air compressor to fully flush away all the water. You will find both articles and videos on those alternatives, and a lot of debate on the pros & cons. The last step is to put some potable water antifreeze in the drain traps of each sink, shower, washing machine, etc. If you have an ice maker or a washing machine, those need some extra attention too.

Last edited:
it was regular water in the faucets.
That would seem like it is not winterized. Have you checked to see if the water heater is emptied and bypassed to prevent filling it with antifreeze? You need to know what you have before you start as come spring you will want to put it back into service.

That would seem like it is not winterized. Have you checked to see if the water heater is emptied and bypassed to prevent filling it with antifreeze? You need to know what you have before you start as come spring you will want to put it back into service.
I think that is what he was asking in his original question, i.e. what does he need to know & do?

My suggestion is that he read the previously suggested text article and view a couple of YouTube videos (two examples below). Then compare the instructions to his particular RV and then ask more questions here.

Turn on your on-board water pump and let it run. It will not pressurize and will continue to run, that that is OK.

Now simply turn on your kitchen faucet, hot or cold, doesn't matter.

Something will spit out of the faucet. It will. It always does if there has ever been any fluid in the water lines.

If it spits clear water, it's not winterized. If it spits pink looking liquid, it's winterized.

If you don't get anything to spit, then open one of the low point drains and turn the pump on. If there was ever water in the line, something will spit there. If there is absolutely nothing spitting, then your lines are empty. No need to winterize. But if it were mine, I'd winterize anyway.

We noticed last night that the battery was down to 1 bar and my wife noticed the hot water controller was on giving e1 error. Our propane has been off since purchase. And she noticed a humming coming from the hot water heater for a moment. So we went out to the panel and tunlrned it off. I looked in the fresh tank and it's almost bone dry. I think it's not winterized. We did find the drain plugs. I hope we're going to sanitize it and try to use it a few times before it's to cold.

I hope we're going to sanitize it and try to use it a few times before it's to cold.
As far south as you are, there should be no serious problem in doing that as long as you keep a little heat inside to prevent any freezing if the temperature should dip. I looked at the Coachman specs for that coach and it lists heated waste tanks and a tankless water heater. The heated tanks most likely also indicate that you have no exposed water lines as that would negate their value. The tankless water heater I'm not familiar with winterizing so someone who has one would be a better source of help with that. I think that if it were mine and I wanted to take it on a trip I would prep it for use and leave some water in the tank, and the heat set for about 50° but I always had a tank type of water heater that I just kept turned on if a freeze was expected. I don't know about your tankless so check the owner's manual for cold weather information.

We noticed last night that the battery was down to 1 bar and my wife noticed the hot water controller was on giving e1 error. Our propane has been off since purchase.
I didn't mention the voltage issue but the bar type indicator is a poor indicator and a good multimeter will give you better information.

As far south as you are, there should be no serious problem in doing that as long as you keep a little heat inside to prevent any freezing if the temperature should dip. I looked at the Coachman specs for that coach and it lists heated waste tanks and a tankless water heater. The heated tanks most likely also indicate that you have no exposed water lines as that would negate their value. The tankless water heater I'm not familiar with winterizing so someone who has one would be a better source of help with that. I think that if it were mine and I wanted to take it on a trip I would prep it for use and leave some water in the tank, and the heat set for about 50° but I always had a tank type of water heater that I just kept turned on if a freeze was expected. I don't know about your tankless so check the owner's manual for cold weather information.
Thanks!
I suspect the heater being on was using some of the battery during the day and night and the small solar panel on the roof kept it partially charged. I am waiting on the 2nd house battery from the factory since my package was supposed to include one, but apparently it was the 1st new model on this chassis so I'm thinking they overlooked that.
I've gotta get it plugged into shore power at home, that should help keep it at the necessary temp. We rarely have daytime Temps below freezing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom