question for the experienced Rv'ers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckle823

This one is for the older guys like Tom, Ned, and The RV Roamer. What is it with RV parks attracting the dregs of society? Is this a recent phenomenon, or has there always been the smoking, drinking, out-on-parole types at campgrounds?

We rarely see those types of people in the campgrounds we visit.  Certainly, there are campgrounds that seem to attract the less desirable clientel,  but we just don't stay at those places.  We do see campgrounds that have a large number of long term renters, usually people that are working in the area, and not all of them have the newer, expensive, RVs because they can't afford them.  They live in what they can afford, and while it may not be something we would want, it's all they have.  Even the better campgrounds will have the occasional loud, drunken, smoking guest but that's why we have RVs.  If we don't like the neighbors, we can move.

Please don't judge all campground or RVers by one or two isolated experiences.  Those are not the norm, the people you find here are more typical.

I couldn't have said it better than Ned. FWIW we don't normally frequent the same places as Ned, but it's interesting that we arrived at the same conclusion based on our individual experiences.

I've been camping for about 15 years, mostly with a pop-up and only the last two with a TT. ?We have only had one bad experience in those years at a state forest campground in which our neighbors were noisy until about 4 AM. ?one bad time in 15 years is something I can easily live with. ?I have had worse and more bad experiences at motels.

I don't drink, I'm not loud, I get along with my neighbors, and keep my space policed and clean, but, I do smoke, am I bad?

I've been camping and RVing for over 40 years and I can't remember ever having a bad experience. Sure, there've been some noisy groups and drinkers but never anything that I felt was "the dregs of society." If I stopped at a campground that looked like it was full of drinkers and parolees, and where I felt unsafe, I'd just go somewhere else. And I'd be very careful about judging on looks alone.

buckle823 said:
This one is for the older guys like Tom, Ned, and The RV Roamer. What is it with RV parks attracting the dregs of society? Is this a recent phenomenon, or has there always been the smoking, drinking, out-on-parole types at campgrounds?

Like the other folks here have said, you just drew a short straw if that is what you hit.? ? ?I have had worse in motels, much worse.?

However, let me give you a hint.? Take out a Trailer Life Campground Guide.? ?Look up the ratings of a park you are choosing.? ?You will see a three digit, 1 to 9, rating? in the form */*/*.? ?The middle number is sanitation and sanitary facilities.? Never, ever stay at a park that has less than 8 for sanitation.? If management has enough pride of operation to keep the less pleasant parts of the operations like shower stalls and johns clean and working, they have enough pride to keep the park orderly.? ?

Regards,

Carl L/LA

Carl,

Good observation on the rating numbers.  Sanitation trumps a lot of perks.  I tend to select CG's on that same criteria. (8 or better)

lou

Like everyone here we have had very few issues and when we pull into a campground with a lot of 15-20 year old permanent trailers we leave. This spring we didn't leave because the cg was very convienent to our daughter's in Illinois. After spending a month there we are back to rule #1: Leave.

Back
Top Bottom