Questionable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like the local oil change place, you will always need new wiper blades. Your antifreeze needs changing oh and so does the tranny fluid. It's truly amazing how much a teenager knows about how much your vehicle deteriorates after just a couple thousand miles.

Kevin

I think SpencerPJ hit the nail on the head. Alignment techs often get a bonus for any "up-sell" they do, and some techs may try to take undue advantage of that. I'd bring it to management attention first. If they don't agree it's something they need to address, get manufacturer involvement.

It is a dang shame people have to go through this crap over and over again...........

Oh.............

New to the RV scene but it seems odd that so much needs to be replaced so soon. I think it is bad enough you had to dole out $600 to have the axles aligned already. Ballpark on how many miles you have on it?

Hope you recover quickly from the knee operation.

New to the RV scene but it seems odd that so much needs to be replaced so soon. I think it is bad enough you had to dole out $600 to have the axles aligned already. Ballpark on how many miles you have on it?

Hope you recover quickly from the knee operation.
approx 1000 miles they are never aligned properly from the factory so i didnt mind the $600 i was prepared for that, every trailer should have an alignment done from the factory, they use a jig when making the chassis but it can twist as they are not that careful. they can be off by 3 or 4 degrees which when you need to replace 6 tires get expensive so its preventative maintenance and all part of owning a trailer

i had the knee replacement in February and a 15 inch rod inserted down through the center of my Tibia very similar to what they did to Tiger Woods but i was before him lol (old motorcycle injury)

Attachments

• leg.jpg
    leg.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
approx 1000 miles they are never aligned properly from the factory so i didnt mind the $600 i was prepared for that, every trailer should have an alignment done from the factory, they use a jig when making the chassis but it can twist as they are not that careful. they can be off by 3 or 4 degrees which when you need to replace 6 tires get expensive so its preventative maintenance and all part of owning a trailer

i had the knee replacement and a 15 inch rod inserted down through the center of my Tibia very similar to what they did to Tiger Woods but i was before him lol (old motorcycle injury)
So you can say you beat Tiger Woods?

*UPDATE* I spoke with the parts and service general manager this morning and explained what transpired. He did some digging after he acknowledged red flags too. He called me back and admitted things were not handled properly but wasnt sure what was going on. He asked me to bring it back to the shop and they are going to repack the axles,seals,and bearings on their dime no cost to me. He explained to me that the grease was everywhere but could not explain the cause, was it crappy grease they used at the factory? Or they used too much or they just did a crappy job? But not enough time was taken by them to sort out the questions.
So i take in next Wed - wish me luck

you should already have sealed units, what axles are they?
They are 7000 lb dexter axles. I've already been into them once already, doing a bearing repack, etc, and they were not sealed bearings. So if it was possible and/or feasible to switch to sealed bearings I would think that would be the way to go???

Should be under warranty if new so make those idiots you bought it from do the work! From what I have been told, all trailers after 3 years should have the sealed bearings redone. Dam dealers go with the lightest axles they can get away with. Will be having mine done next year. As far as alignment, watch your tires for abnormal wear. My 5th wheel came with the nitrogen to keep temps stable. Working so far after 2 seasons pulling the beast. Tread looks almost new.

i had the knee replacement in February and a 15 inch rod inserted down through the center of my Tibia very similar to what they did to Tiger Woods but i was before him lol (old motorcycle injury)
oh man...for a min there..i thought this post and pic's was my leg from MY motorcycle wreck back in '08 ??!!..lol. i had the very same thing done to my left leg. i broke both the fib and tib on my leg a few inches below my knee. hope you get to feeling better !. good deal on that shop making it right !!.

They are 7000 lb dexter axles. I've already been into them once already, doing a bearing repack, etc, and they were not sealed bearings. So if it was possible and/or feasible to switch to sealed bearings I would think that would be the way to go???

Are the axles Dexter EZ-Lube?

No one answered my question. Is there any reason to not switch over to sealed bearings if they are available?

make those idiots you bought it from do the work!
The problem I have with that idea is you expect the same idiot that effed it up the first time to suddenly become competent, and now bringing the idiot into the spotlight you have a resentful idiot which I would expect an even further diminishing likelihood of a positive outcome. Depending on the product and the manufacturer or dealer, warranties can often work out OK but sometimes you're better off paying up for a competent repair and actually identifying and solving the problem vs just a "free" parts swap or jerry rig to get you out of the shop.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The problem I have with that idea is you expect the same idiot that effed it up the first time to suddenly become competent, and now bringing the idiot into the spotlight you have a resentful idiot which I would expect an even further diminishing likelihood of a positive outcome. Depending on the product and the manufacturer or dealer, warranties can often work out OK but sometimes you're better off paying up for a competent repair and actually identifying and solving the problem vs just a "free" parts swap or jerry rig to get you out of the shop.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The shop general manager and myself will be doing the supervision so its all good we have already discussed it. And that gives me time to take lots of pictures

Sometimes things go south but one of the things I look for in a person or facility is how they respond when that happens. Sounds like at least someone there is interested in helping you out, and I would run down that road until you get a workable solution, or confirmation it's a dead end.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

HUGE UPDATE

I took my brand new trailer ( purchased in March 2021) back and they ripped into it under watchful eyes, we all know they use crap grease at the factory but not this crappy. Water had displaced a lot of the grease and gotten behind the dust caps, the dexter axles are NOT greasless or have sealed bearing like my old ones. Even the axle splines in 2 of the wheels had rust. BOTTOM LINE hubs and brearings repacked using Gladius grease cleaned up new dustcaps installed. Good to go. The shop that did it is part of a international group, Dexter Axles is a part of that group.

Bottom line even a brand new trailer needs to be looked at carefully but my axles are now aligned, brakes are adjusted properly, and bearings packed properly. 6000 mile roadtrip starts Thursday Aug 12

Back
Top Bottom