Questions from a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffshrop

I just got a weekend warrior fk2100 and have no experience whatsoever. A couple of questions for you. I drained the water for the cold weather. After filling back up I'm getting a lot of air coming out of the faucets and almost no pressure in the bathroom faucet. Is this a pump problem or is there air in the lines? If it is air how can I get it out?

Also what would you suggest to control sway?

Sounds like your pump isn't priming. If there's an accumulator tank in the line, back pressure from the accumulator can prevent the pump priming. Disconnect  the water line from the output side of the pump, run the pump until water flows, then shut the pump off and reconnect the water line. Now turn the pump on and open the faucets until water come out without air bubbling/spitting.

If the pump has a filter attached to it, remove it and clean it as crud built up in the filter can prevent water flow.

If water doesn't flow from one faucet but flows from others, you might have a blocked screen on the faucet. Either unscrew it to clean it, or take a small cup of vinegar and immerse the screen/end of the faucet into it.

Or you could have shut the valve that allows the water to flow from the tank like this dummy did. Thanks to the gents at the Q for straightening me out. Stuff happens in my old age.

jeffshrop said:
I just got a weekend warrior fk2100 and have no experience whatsoever. A couple of questions for you. I drained the water for the cold weather. After filling back up I'm getting a lot of air coming out of the faucets and almost no pressure in the bathroom faucet. Is this a pump problem or is there air in the lines? If it is air how can I get it out?

Also what would you suggest to control sway?

If the air is coming out of the hot water side it's your hot water heater. There will be a lot of air coming out until the hot water tank fills and displaces the air. After that you should have water flowing.

Ah Jim, I forgot that he'd probably emptied the hot water tank for winter  :-[

Thanks guys. I did empty the hot water tank. The air problem doesn't seem to be any different for cold or hot water. I'll take a look at your suggestions. Thanks for the help.

Good call on the sink screen. You nailed that one. I've still got some air coming out of the faucets. The water runs clear then cloudy in quick cycles. Is this just something that's normal with rv pumps or is there something else I can check. It looks like there's plenty of water in and out at the pump.

Could the cloudy water actually be air bubbles? That would account for the air at the faucets. Perhaps there's a loose hose that is allowing air into the water line. Normally pumps won't exhibit what you are experiencing.

A milky, cloudy color is almost surely air bubbles.  It can take quite a while to run all the air out of the system if there are high loops in the water line that trap a lot of air. The water heater tank also has a lot of air.  This can be bled off by opening the pressure relief valve located on the side of the tank outside, but just running the water tap will do it, though slower.  I'd just let the taps run for awhile, as much as 15 minutes if necessary, at whatever taps are showing bubbles.

As others have mentioned, you might have a tiny air leak that allows the pump to suck air along with the water. I wouldn't jump to that conclusion, however.

Try connecting to city water then run all the faucets till the bubble are gone then turn the pump on with the city water connected and slowly tun the city water off till the pump is running steady.  That may clear everything up.

Sorry for the delay. I hooked up city water and the lines finally cleaned out. But a week later on our first overnighter using the pump air bubbles came back. It took an overnighter to find the problem. There was a tiny hole in a line leading to the outside sprayer. It was so small we never saw a leak until the line had pressure on it for a long period of time. I fixed the line last weekend and the water cleared right up. You guys are the best. You can bet the next time I have a problem I'll post here first.

Thanks,
Jeff

Thanks for the feedback Jeff. Glad you got it figured out.

Back
Top Bottom