Questions from a potential newbie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WD5CFJ

Hello All. My name is Larry. I need to correct my used ID to reflect this Sorry.

OK, I have read through the library and so many posts until I have more questions than answers. I am seriously looking at purchasing a 1996 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. I would like to know if anyone has had any firsthand experiences with this unit of the negative variety. I am sure because I am new, that there are questions that I do not even know to ask.

Some qualifiers are necessary. I have been out of debit for a long time and do not want to take out a loan. This unit is in my range for paying cash. They are asking $33,400. for it. I see them priced all over the place so I do not know if this is reasonable or not.

This particular unit is a 37' diesel pusher with a Cummins 230 HP engine and a Allison transmission (do not know which model) on a Freightliner chassis with 96,000 miles on it. It has 2 ducted roof A/C's and a basement A/C with a Onan 7KW Propane genset and a 16 foot galley slide with 3 awnings. It looks almost like new on the inside and very good on the outside (not faded or oxidized). So far, I have tested the Generator, A/C's it gets very cold inside (this is located in Houston, TX and it was 82 the day I looked at it). All of the electronics worked, the engine fired right up. I walked on the roof, it felt solid and I saw no signs of damage or leaks. I did not feel any signs of de-lamination when pushing on the sides. I have not driven it yet because it is in a repair shop having the slide motor replaced and new seals put on the leveling jacks. It looked like all of the batteries were recently replaced tires looked new on the front and the rears looked like they had full tread but did not look new, but no signs of dry rot. No damage anywhere I can see. Things I still need to check are furnace, water / plumbing, belts and hoses and test drive. I have not yet looked in the engine compartment.

One of my main concerns if I can not verify via maintenance records is the "Dowell Pin" in the timing case. Is this a real threat? I hear of many horror stories about this. I am easily capable of  installing the modification kit to prevent this "IF" I can access it fairly easily. Looks fairly simple to do. I hate to tear it down to do this if it has already been done but the peace of mind matters here.

Another concern, is 230 HP grossly underpowered for this unit. I know that 100 more HP can be extracted from this engine fairly easy but is it necessary? Can the transmission and differential handle any more?

Are there any major things I should look for I have not mentioned? I am very electronically , electrically and mechanically capable so doing repairs does not bother me, I just do not want to get stuck with a money pit.

I will appreciate any answers, opinions and recommendations. Also, if I missed all of the answers, I did search and read allot of posts, please forgive me for asking again.

Regards,

Larry Lowry

Larry,
Welcome to RV Forum. Your id is fine if that's what you like - we can tell you are Larry by your signature!

Look up the Endeavor in the Motorhomes book at www.nadaguides.com. That will give you low and average retail values. Do not add any "options" - the dealer doesn't pay extra for them and neither should you. Try to buy at/near Low Retail in a cash transaction.

The 230hp 5.9L was a rather tepid engine. My guess is you will want a bit more, though not 100 hp. That coach moves along nicely with about 275 hp, which became standard a year or two later.  Make sure it has the 6 speed Allison - the 4 speed is a poor performer in a heavy motorhome. You really need gears to go and stop these things.

Can't say that I've heard of the "Dowell Pin" flaw (and we hear dozens of stories every day here), so it's probably something that can happen but is overblown in the circles where engine problems are discussed daily.

Check the date codes on the tires - good looks/tread is meaningless in a underused tire. If any are approaching 7 years of age they need to be replaced NOW.

If this is a nice clean rig it sounds like it might be a good one.

Hi Larry. If you need to change the way your name is displayed click here to see how.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihesselden
Back
Top Bottom