Questions regarding U.S. 58 in Southern Virginia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Illine

My husband and I are getting ready to go to Virginia. Heading to Danville which is mid-state (east-west) and nearly on the NC state line. We will be travelling on I-77. The most direct route would be to take U.S. Hwy. 58 east to Danville. I know that the first 60 miles or so are 2-lane and it is down-hill all the way. I've been told it's very curvey and there is at least one 9% grade. We have a 32' triple slide fifth-wheel and we pull it with an F-250 Ford Powerstroke (1997). We have an exhaust brake. Has anyone out there actually travelled this highway? Our alternative is to go on north to Roanoke and take U.S. 220 south to Martinsville which is 4-lane all the way. Any suggestions?

The Mountain Directory East confirms 6 miles of 9% grade on US 58 between the Blue Ridge Pkwy and Stuart, VA. Also many sharp curves in the same stretch.  Otherwise, it says "good two lane road".

We drove US220 last fall and it is excellent highway - I would be inclined to recommend that over US58, but we have never driven 58 for comparison.  We did get caught at a low overpass near Martinville once, but that is a few miles away on VA 57, not US 58.  Just don't try VA 57 as a short cut!

Hi Illine,

I have driven Rt 58 from I81 to Norfolk area in a 40' motor coach. DO NOT take it from I81 to Danville. It is a very twisty road, narrow, with truck traffic that will make you very uncomfortable. We normally take 220 out of Roanoke to 58 in Martinsville. This is a more comfortable route with no serious concerns.

What a help! Thanks so much for the info. It's always great to hear it from those who have actually done it! As I told my husband this afternoon, the extra miles on the 4-lane probably won't add any extra time at all considering the slow 2-lane 58 route! All help is appreciated! Thanks again.  : )

Illine,

Believe me when I say you'll appreciate the re-route. :) There are few roads I've been across that come to mind as quickly as this one. Another is Rt. 50 from Winchester, VA to Clarksburg, WV. Not as narrow as Rt. 58 but a steady climb out of Winchester with numerous hairpin turns so you can't get up speed and then the same down the other side of the mountain. Exhaust brake and service brakes had a good workout on that one! A beautiful drive but more fun on a motorcycle, I'm sure. :)

Back
Top Bottom