Quick Moisture Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaajoad

Here in the Seattle area we've received record amounts of rain. I was in the MH tonight and noticed a thin dark line in the bedroom, right where the ceiling and wall meet. It can best be described as "damp", not wet. And that's only in a very small portion of the spot.

I've been hemming & hawing over a cover - would that help? Overall, the MH will be used more parked here than on the road if that makes a difference. Or should I clamber up on the roof and start doing some sealing?
Another obvious question - is the roof of this MH safe to walk on?

Thanks in advance -

Danny
Poulsbo WA
1999 Bounder 34J

Danny,

It sounds like you might have a leak somewhere. Yes, it is safe to walk on the roof of your Bounder but be careful not to slip. A cover could help if it is waterproof but it might create other problems....trap moisture, wear paint, etc. I'd get up there and see if there is anything obvious and reseal. Sometimes it's very difficult to find a leak as it might not be anywhere near the location where it appears inside. Check around vents and where the sides meet the roof.

Danny,

If you decide that you need to re-caulk-it is past time if not previously done- SERIOUSLY consider using EternaBond Tape.  I have used it and I think it is far superior to the other caulking methods.  If you do go that way, order it from the internet.  Search on "EternaBond" and pick the low cost supplier.  I used "Big Rock Supply" in IL.  They are a supplier to the roofing and construction industry.  EternaBond is used in comercial roofing to seal seams etc.

James Godward said:
Danny,

If you decide that you need to re-caulk-it is past time if not previously done- SERIOUSLY consider using EternaBond Tape.  I have used it and I think it is far superior to the other caulking methods.  If you do go that way, order it from the internet.  Search on "EternaBond" and pick the low cost supplier.  I used "Big Rock Supply" in IL.  They are a supplier to the roofing and construction industry.  EternaBond is used in comercial roofing to seal seams etc.

Jim,

I just used Eternabond on my screen room roof. Did the shed a couple of years ago. It is great stuff when used properly. We had a line of trailers that used it on flat slideout roof skylights. They all leaked! The trick, as with any sealant, is to get it applied properly so there won't be any leaks. Using a roller on the tape really helps to adhere it properly

Jim Dick said:
I just used Eternabond on my screen room roof. Did the shed a couple of years ago. It is great stuff when used properly.

Jim,  I have an older Bounder as does Danny.  These Bounders have a rubber (looks like rubber) roof.  Mine seems to have a couple of hard to locate leakes along the roof edge like Danny mentioned.  The side walls, of course, are fiberglass.  Can eternabond be used to completely cover this seam, or should some liquid sealer be used .  The original sealant was liquid, I'm sure.

thanks, lou

Hi Lou,

You should be able to seal your roof with Eternabond. They claim it will work with any RV roof material. Take a look at their website, eternabond.com, for more information on the application. A friend here in FL sealed his Winnebago a couple of years ago. I don't think it was a rubber roof but he does not have a leak anymore. I'm sure you could even patch a tear in the rubber roof with it. Just be sure to use a wooden roller to help bond the tape to the surface. Take your time when placing it on the seam so you eliminate any wrinkles.

If you decide to use Eternabond, I received excellent service buying it from Best Materials following the recommendation of another forum member.

Thanks Tom,

I just checked their site.? The 4" by 50' rolls are on sale for about half price.

I can do both side edges of my roof at that price.
lou.

Eternabond was designed for EDPM  rubber roofs - works great on them. And yes, you can seal your entire roof side seam with it.  Whether you will like the look is another question - some people think the 4" wide tape lying over typically seam looks, well, like  patch job.

I've used it on my front and rear cap seams (on top of the roof) but did not run it along the sides where it is readily visible from below.

Gary,

Here's my thinking about using the tape along the full length of the roof/side seam.  It should, I hope, look less like a patch than if I were to apply it only where I suspected a potential leak.

The tape is white and my roof is (supposed to be) white.  After some aging, it should blend a little.

Assuming I do a neat job of applying the tape, using the gutter line as a guide, the "patch" should not be that discernable from below (at a reasonable distance anyway).

The tape will actually be covering approximately 3" of roof and 1" below the actual seam (top of the gutter).

The Bounder is 9 (soon to be 10) years old.  We're not talking a show boat here.

While I want it to look as nice as possible,  I'm more concerned with structural integrity and how it looks inside.

Wish me luck,  lou

Lou,

Expect the edges of the tape to be a magnet for dirt and you'll soon see a 'dark' line there. It's very evident where I applied Eternabond around a large skylight and another fixture on the roof of my coach.

Thanks Tom,

I understand some of the drawbacks, but I can't think of an economical alternative. 

Several applications of lap sealant doesn't (wouldn't) look that spiffy either.

I'm sure that the magnitude of the job alone will give me time to think it through.

Thanks again to all for your ideas and comments.  lou

Lou,

After applying Eternabond to my shed roof it looks better after one summer than the original roof. It doesn't gather the normal black mildew that is so common in Florida. I think any prudent appllication should look very respectable to the unititiated person. :)

Guys - THANKS! Looks like OnaQwest and myself will be doing some sealing soon. I think I'll wait for warmer weather (see my cold weather post if you have a minute) but I don't really care if it blends in perfectly either. Like OnaQwest mentioned, it's hardly a MH that will be entered in shows. As long as it stays dry and the resale value holds, I'm a happy guy ...

Danny
Poulsbo WA

Back
Top Bottom