Quick Propane Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaajoad

Consider this a "stupid question" -

My propane is about 1/2 full (see? I'm an optomist!) and I'm wondering if it's possible to fill it up like any other gas tank. I'm so used to waiting for the barbeque tank to go empty before swapping it. Thought I'd ask to save myself an embarrassing trip down to the feed store to get the tank filled/

It can be filled just like any other tank.
At least it can be filled to 80% of full. There needs to be some room for expansion due to ambient temperature increases.
However, depending on the charge procedure used it may or may not be a good idea to fill a partially full tank.
Some places charge by gallons dispensed, some charge by added weight, and some have a flat charge and you pay the same for the propane whether the tank is empty or nearly full.

Obviously, if they use the last method it would be best to let it run out before you get it filled.

I carry extra tanks cause i want it to use every last once and then I tap in with the extra tank until I get a chance to refill.  Just been in a habit of doing that for 40 to 50 yrs I guess I don't know any better.

chaajoad said:
Consider this a "stupid question" -

My propane is about 1/2 full (see? I'm an optomist!) and I'm wondering if it's possible to fill it up like any other gas tank. I'm so used to waiting for the barbeque tank to go empty before swapping it. Thought I'd ask to save myself an embarrassing trip down to the feed store to get the tank filled/

Yes, you can.

There are two ways to fill a tank, however one should never be used

By weight, which works best if the tank is dry and by volume,

Today's tanks have an Overfill Protection Device (Hence the name OPD) which stops the flow when the tank is full,  Most modern pumps sense the increase in back pressure and shut off when this point is reached.

Most dealers deliver by the gallon instead of by the pound so there is no problem

DO, however read the rates... Some dealers have a "Delivery charge" or Service charge" which can be as much as 20 dollars, this is a flat rate per fill and has nothing to do with the amount of gas.  At these places you want to be 100% empty to lower your cost.

My 30 gallon motor home tank holds precisely 27 gallons

Shayne said:
I carry extra tanks cause i want it to use every last once and then I tap in with the extra tank until I get a chance to refill.? Just been in a habit of doing that for 40 to 50 yrs I guess I don't know any better.

Hi Shayne:

That brings up the issue of leakage -- and storing the extra tank in a well ventilated compartment. I also like to carry an extra tank so I don't have to break camp in the middle of a stay to refill. However, in my last Class A, I had a compartment that had a vent hole in the bottom whereas now, I would have to drill a hole or two to get the ventilation I would need. LP gas is heavier than air so the vent holes have to be below the tank.

Where do you store the extra tanks, Shayne? Right now, I have an "empty" extra tank and afraid to fill and store it in any of my compartments.

Bob  I store mine in the O/S lower compartment of the coach.  I have drilled a small hole to vent it. and attached the hose to the vent and the tanks (carry 2) Should I take both tanks out of the compartment I pull the hose and place a plug in the the hole.  A longtime friend of mine that worked for a Propane co. did that and I just followed his idea.  Seems to work, at least it has thus far.  Never asked for an explanation, Just saw what he had and did it my self.  Shucks  maybe I should patent it    LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes09
Back
Top Bottom