Quick Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Night Nurse

MY TT has sat for 11 months due to Tow Vech, problems which have now been resolved. I want to make a 300 mile trip this weekend. Should I plan on repacking the wheels? They only had 600 miles on them when stored. What about Ele Breaks do I need to do anything? 

Help PLEASE

TED

Pack the wheel bearings, adjust the brakes and go.

My 5er sat for a year because of my health problems and then I towed it to Arizona and back to Chicago with no problems. Unless it's been sitting in water, I think you're okay.

Bob

What about putting on Bearring Buddies? My time is short and I only have a day to prep for the trip and was thinking I could put the buddies on and go. 

DO I have to worries about rust on the break drums? it was just in the back yard on Grass

TED

DO NOT INSTALL BEARING BUDDIES!!!!!!!
They are designed for service on axles with no brakes.  You would likely blow out the rear seal and contaminate the brakes with grease.  Thereby rendering your brakes useless.  Like I said, pack the bearings, adjust the brakes and go.  Otherwise you are taking a chance of loosing an axle spindle.

Once a year I pull the drum off and pack the bearing regardless of how many miles on the trailer. While I'm there I check the brakes and adjust them accordingly during assembly.

The link below is to a thread regarding zirk fittings on axles.  I do not have bearing buddies but the concept is pretty much the same.  This will give you an idea of why a manual re-pack is best.

If your rig isn't that old you would probably be okay to just hook up and roll but the possibility always exists that there's a problem that you can't see.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=57937.msg533201#msg533201

Foto-n-T said:
The link below is to a thread regarding zirk fittings on axles. 
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=57937.msg533201#msg533201
The reason his bearings seals failed was " The bodies of the seals were badly dented from installation which corrupted the seal itself."  Read the manual on "E-Z Lube Lubrication"  and the following note  "E-Z Lube must not replace periodic inspection of the bearings."

I don't think Bearing Buddy itself can generate enough pressure to "blow out" a rear seal, except if the seal is already leaking. The spring isn't strong enough - only about 3 psi.  But if you keep pumping grease in after the spring is fully compacted, then I suppose it is possible that the pressure of the grease gun could do it.

I'm neither for nor against use of the Buddy. Make your own judgment.

Why take a chance? Do the bearings and check/adjust the brakes. One less thing to worry about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom