Quiet Mufflers for Portable Generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fastpitch

Has anyone heard of the The Quiet Spark Arrestor Muffler sold by Jacks Small Engines? I am just curious if it really works or not. I have not heard any reviews, nor can I find anything on whether or not if it works. Don't even know if it can harm your generator or not. It is kind of expensive to buy and not know if it really works or not. Just thought I would see if anyone had tried it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Don't even know if there are any money backi gurantees on it.

Link to website http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmain.cfm

Thanks, Fastpitch

Exhaust noise is only a portion of the small generator noise problem. Much of the noise comes from vibration and mechanical noises in both the motor and the mechanical (spinning) electrical generator unit. That's why all the truly quiet gensets have the extremely well balanced Honda motor and a small DC generator with an inverter rather than an AC alternator.  That's also why diesel gensets are quieter - the lower Rpms produce less vibration and the massive diesel block absorbs much of the alternator vibration and noise.

I don't have any experience with the muffler you mentioned, but I'm pretty sure you will be disappointed in the amount of noise reduction you can achieve with any muffler on a typical gas genset.

One thing to consider when buying an "After market" muffler is that there is no standard attachment save for about a 1/2 or 3/4 IPT pipe,  Some motors have a threaded outlet for the muffler, (1/2, 3/4 or 1") but many have a two bolt and "Fire ring" arraingment not unlike the exhaust pipe to manifold junction on many cars.  And of course different size bolts, different spacing, not always 180 across from each other, some use 3 bolts, you get the picture.

make sure the muffler fits the engine

Thanks for the information guys.

I think I will just live with the sound as is. We are only using the generator for softball tournaments anyway. I was just curious to whether or not the muffler would really make a difference. As of now, I don't think it would be feasible to purchase the muffler. Besides, most of the time we are the only overnighters at the tourney's anyway so sound has never been an issue. I guess you could say I get the best of both worlds. Watching my girls play softball and camping all in the same package. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom