quiet tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joester

hello,
I posted this elsewhere, but thought I'd try here also.
I have a 27' Tioga class c, with the ford 460.
I had Michelin XPS RIB T/R tires on it when I bought, then replaced with the same - LT 215/85R-16.
last summer, had some cracking on sidewalls, but made another trip anyways, hoping to get 600 miles out of those old (7 years) tires before replacing.
long story short, had a blowout, and in a panic mode, bought a set of Mohawk Comanche tires while up in the mountains (Michelins not to be found). 6 months later, and the road noise from these is driving me nuts - other than the Michelin XPS RIB, are there any other tires that ride so quiet as the Michelin?
I"m ready to replace those I just bought 6 months ago, just due to the noise.
any suggestions?
thanks,
love this place

thanks for the reply. the Michelins were very quiet, and I miss that with these cheaper tires.
It looks like I've spent nearly $800 on a set of tires I'll only use for 6 months, and the 2 places I'm looking at the new Michelins, won't give me anything for them on a trade, so now I'm looking at $1400 for a new set of 6, with all taxes and warranties.
I just wanted to find out if there were any OTHER brands that folks may like that have as quiet ride as those Michelins.
I know Goodyear has rv tires, but I have no experience with them, and the cost I see on line is more than the Michelins.
thanks for your time.

I know Goodyear has rv tires, but I have no experience with them, and the cost I see on line is more than the Michelins.

I have experience with Goodyears on my trailer.  Not a happy experience in terms of service.

Generally in this life one pays for good service.  ;D

thanks for the reply.
I think I'll just go with the Michelins at Discount, and get the full road-hazard warranty.
thanks again.

We have Goodyears tires on the Eagle that are about to be replaced only because of age. ?They only have 90,000 + on them. ?We have also had Goodyears on cars. ?We did the Michelin tires once on two vehicles and NEVER again. The Michelins had to be replace within a very short period of time on both vehicles.

Ron,
what model tire do you have with those Goodyears?
are they on an RV?
what size tire, and what state do you live in?
a lot of factors involved here I suppose.

joester said:
Ron,
what model tire do you have with those Goodyears?
are they on an RV?
what size tire, and what state do you live in?
a lot of factors involved here I suppose.

The Goodyear tires we currently have on the American Eagle MH are G159 275/80R 22.5 . The tires have over 90K miles on them.  Do to age the tires will be replaced with Goodyear 670RV tires.  We are fulltimers and follow the sun.  AZ in the winter Montana or Northern US in the Summer. 

Goodyears are fine but you should have plenty of other choices, since many light trucks use the same size tires as your Class C.    BF Goodrich, Bridgestone & Toyo are other excellent brands.

I used Goodyear LT (light truck) tires on my 96 Class A and they were excellent - and $50 (each) cheaper than the Michelin XPS.

You have provided another demonstration of the wisdom of what we advise to everybody here - when the tire gets over 6 years old, replace it no matter what it looks like.  A 7 year old tire WILL fail. Guarunteed.

Adding to the rationale for changing old tires irrespective of driven miles....

Our Pace Arrow (that we'd bought new) had less than 30,000 miles on it when we semi-retired it to the side yard after 10 years. When we subsequently bought our current coach, the dealer arranged for a wholesaler to pick up the old coach from us. (By now, the coach had sat unused in our side yard for 5 years, and those tires were 15 years old.) The engine fired right up and sounded the way it had from day 1, but the tires (which looked "good") didn't make it from the side yard to the street. As the guy carefully reversed the coach out of our side yard and then onto the driveway, one rear tire on each side popped. I can't imagine what would have happened if the guy had made it to the freeway before they blew.

Edit: Added clarification.

Back
Top Bottom