Quieter water pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you mount it, cut a square of carpet and put underneath it and screw it down. If the pex is hard attached to it, get some fiber reinforced clear tubing and connect that to the pump to isolate it from the pex.

SHURFLO 94-591-01 Pump Silencing Kit

31VjSpEqp7L._AC_.jpg

Besides the mounting technique, the variable speed type of pump is generally more quiet, simply because it runs at lower rpms some of the time. The Remco Aquatec 55 pump is a premium-grade pump that is used on many high end RV models. Shurflo has a variable speed model too.

Our Shurflo Revolution variable speed water pump was annoyingly loud until I relocated it from the factory location in the bottom of the bedside cabinet. Now it's located in the outside wet bin with flexible hose connections, and we can barely hear it run when everything else is quiet except in the bathroom that's right above it. We also have a 2-gallon pressure tank that cuts way down on how often the pump runs.

In my relatively lower end trailer, the noise doesn't come from pump, it comes from other areas where the pex rattles against something when the pump comes on. When I first bought it, I figured the water pump must have been in the bathroom. Just fyi.

I was looking into the variable flow pumps until I saw the amp draw of them, which is twice or three times the draw of a regular pump.

I suggested the carpet as some manufacturers will use scraps of carpet to quieten a pump and it actually works rather well. Bigfoot mounted my pump on a square of carpet and you really cannot hear the pump even with the access door to it open (which is below the oven). I do have a pipe in the rear of the trailer rattling on stuff that makes a horrendous noise, but I just need to get busy and fix that by wrapping or securing the pipe.

Charles

I do have a pipe in the rear of the trailer rattling on stuff that makes a horrendous noise, but I just need to get busy and fix that by wrapping or securing the pipe.
Or install an accumulator tank next to the pump. It will smooth out the flow and stop the pump from short cycling when you barely crack open a faucet.

We also have a 2-gallon pressure tank that cuts way down on how often the pump runs.
Interesting. We had a new pump installed last week and the thing is LOUD. Some good suggestions here as to sound dampening but the idea of a pressure tank is something I've never heard mentioned. That might be worth looking into for us as there's a fair amount of room available in the compartment with the pump.

We've implemented all of the modifications mentioned above: vibration-absorbing mounting plates; flex hoses for the input/outflow sides of the pump; foam pipe insulation anywhere the remaining Pex touches itself or the coach; and the accumulator tank. The effort was worthwhile: we can still hear the pump, but have to listen closely.
Another plus: that end of our plumbing system is less mysterious than if I had just replaced the pump.

The fact is, RV water pumps all run very quiet. If you turn one on and it has no water to pump, you almost have to put your ear on the machine to hear it running.

The problem is not the pump. The problem is the vibration coming from the pump. That vibration travels down the pipes in your camper. As it travels, it magnifies like yelling in a megaphone.

It sounds like the pump is making the noise, and in a way, it's the cause of the noise. But the real noise is caused by the vibration. Stop the vibration occurring in the pipes and you stop the noise.

In the past, I found putting pads under the pump did very little, if anything. I noticed no difference. The thing you really need to do is what CharlesinGA explained in his post. Add a section of flexible pipe or hose between the pump and the hard PEX pipe. You're vibrations and the noise will go away.

The threading on your pipes are all 1/2 inch. So you can go to any Home Depot or Lowe's Hardware and pick up one of those hoses he's posted.

You have a good point. Better than burning it out or a leak mess. Mine is exceptionitly loud though. I'll try for a happy medium.
Thanks to all for solid advice!

I like to be able to hear my water pump, in case there is a line, fitting or fixture failure.

Richard
This right here. I'm currently hooked up to city water. Yesterday, sometime between the time I got water for coffee and the time I was ready to take a shower, my heated hose blew up on me. Went to turn on the faucet and no water. Stepped outside the coach and there was a puddle 6" deep around the water connection. Glad I had water in the tank, so I could still take my shower. New hose on order.

I like to be able to hear my water pump, in case there is a line, fitting or fixture failure.

Richard

This right here. I'm currently hooked up to city water. Yesterday, sometime between the time I got water for coffee and the time I was ready to take a shower, my heated hose blew up on me. Went to turn on the faucet and no water. Stepped outside the coach and there was a puddle 6" deep around the water connection. Glad I had water in the tank, so I could still take my shower. New hose on order.
I too want to hear the pump (but not too loud!) for the same reason, to hear it cycle frequently and I know there is a leak in the system. I always fill the tank and draw from the tank, never using the city water connection. The only reason I use the city water connection is to add the compressed air adapter for blowing it out!!!

I added a lighted water pump switch as the tiny recessed LED was all but invisible. If you go to bed, you won't miss the green glow of the switch left on. Same with the water heater switches, red and blue illuminated. Turn them on to heat the tank and back off when its hot.

Charles

Back
Top Bottom