Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This means that cigarettes are about 25 times more expensive than they were 50 years ago. I cannot think of anything else that has risen that dramatically in 50 years. My first car in 1967 was $3500. Now cars are about 8 times that amount.

:( Started smoking at 12 yrs old in 1963 the price was $.25 a pack for Marlboros. When I quit in 2012; the generics were about $45.00 a carton. Visited Relatives in NY in 2104. A carton of Marlboros were $108.00; generics were $75.00 a carton!

Smoke free now for 7&1/2 years! ;D ;D

Here's a link showing the cost per pack in all states. Looks like Illinois wins at $11.50 per pack. Boy am I glad I quit back in 79.

http://fairreporters.net/health/prices-of-cigarettes-by-state/

Rene T said:
Here's a link showing the cost per pack in all states. Looks like Illinois wins at $11.50 per pack. Boy am I glad I quit back in 79.

http://fairreporters.net/health/prices-of-cigarettes-by-state/
Not really, NY is $12.85. What is sad is the paragraph just below the prices written last March:

Fortunately for smokers, there are also some good news for them. The new technologies have brought to the market some amazing alternative products that are much healthier and also cheaper. E-Liquids (vaporizers) are an excellent alternative that offers all the pleasure of smoking without the health hazards and with much lower costs. In comparison to regular cigarettes, vaporizers are much cheaper. Studies have shown that 2 ml of E-Liquids are the equivalent of one pack of cigarettes, and with a 30 ml bottle of E-Liquids costing only $16, we can conclude that the price equivalent for vaporizers is only $1.06 (you can buy them from VaporFI). Vaporizers come in many distinct flavors, so you can experience a multitude of sensations and try something new whenever you want.

SeilerBird said:
Not really, NY is $12.85. What is sad is the paragraph just below the prices written last March:

Missed that Tom but I have an excuse. I just became another year older today.

The new technologies have brought to the market some amazing alternative products that are much healthier and also cheaper. E-Liquids (vaporizers) are an excellent alternative.

Unfortunately, they're discovering that vaping might be more dangerous than smoking, especially for young people.  We've had four vaping-related illnesses reported recently in our county.  The truly unfortunate thing is that young people are getting hit hard and very quickly.  Whatever is in that stuff is actually killing people within months of using.  Our county health officials just reported in yesterday's paper that they've sent samples to the CDC for testing because they don't know what is causing the illnesses and deaths.  It's hard to believe that smoking cigarettes might be safer than vaping!  Glad I don't want to do either.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Unfortunately, they're discovering that vaping might be more dangerous than smoking, especially for young people.  We've had four vaping-related illnesses reported recently in our county.  The truly unfortunate thing is that young people are getting hit hard and very quickly.  Whatever is in that stuff is actually killing people within months of using.  Our county health officials just reported in yesterday's paper that they've sent samples to the CDC for testing because they don't know what is causing the illnesses and deaths.  It's hard to believe that smoking cigarettes might be safer than vaping!  Glad I don't want to do either.

ArdraF

True, but the vast majority of vapor related death and illness is from putting THC in the liquid to get high. Likely all of them but they are not admitting to it. "Therefore, CDC recommends that you should not use e-cigarette, or vaping, products that contain THC."  Link below.

I quit a 40 year 2 pack a day habit by switching to vaping. My doctor did a lung x-ray after I had been vaping for 2 years and my lungs were completely cleared. He recommends it to all his smoking patients who can't quit any other way. I have been vaping heavy for 10 years. I can run again where 10 years ago I could barely climb a flight of stairs.

And Jackie, you didn't mention in Britain a pack only has 16 cigs instead of 20. The first time I bought a pack I tried to return it because I though it was defective.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/severe-lung-disease.html

A startling fact came to my attention today. It is not directly related to smoking but is worthy of mention here.  Missouri has had 42 drug overdose deaths so far in 2019.  But the one fact that caught my attention was that my neighboring city of Springfield, pop 160K, had 13 overdoses in one day recently.  Most were saved by Narcan but as the firefighters and police who most often encounter these cases say, Narcan is not a solution, only a band aid.  Watching some of the live police shows gives one a direct view of people trying to OD on drugs and then not realizing they were on the edge of death and then denying it all.  I guess you can't fix stupid.

I take an opioid, one pill per day max, for a horrible lower back but I have even tried to reduce that intake as much as possible.  I don't fear killing myself on that small intake but opioids also cause other problems in ones body.  People can sue manufacturers, distributors and doctors all they want but the problem is the person themselves - not taking responsibility for their decisions.

Congrats Larry. For me it's 42 years, but there are still occasions when I feel the temptation to pick up a cigarette. The tobacco execs who raised their hands on the hill and said under oath that "nicotine is not addictive" lied  :eek: As one Doc told me some years ago, the damage (clogged bronchioli)  is done and can't be undone.

Started at 10 at suggestion of my brother (so I could buy him a pack).  Went for 43 years. Quit 27 years ago but not soon enough.  Diagnosed with moderate COPD 10 years ago and I am well acquainted with the use of oxygen now.  I don't care what you do be it vaping, smoking marijuana, dope or just plain cigarettes you will come to regret it if you live long enough.  The lungs don't forget years of inhaling garbage.

Isn't that a fact Bill. The National Lung Association used to have a saying on their web site" "When you can't breathe, nothing else matters".

My dad smoked and I thought that I wanted to. He told me that I couldn't until I was 16.  So, 16 became the year I would start smoking.
For some reason, it became a right of passage in my feeble little brain.

Well, I smoked until '79. We were living in Jackson, WY, and took the gondola up to the top of Teton Ski area, and I stepped off and walked to the summit.
I discovered that I could not breathe, anymore. I didn't get a good breath again until after we got back home that afternoon. 
A couple of days later, I developed severe Bronchitis, and was laid up for almost a week. I decided that was the perfect time to quit smoking.
A couple of years of living in the Rockies, my lungs repaired themselves nicely. I've almost never had any respiratory illness ever since.

Back
Top Bottom