QZ 2007 Sunset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Buchanan

As most of you know that have watched the sun set behind the mountains surrounding QZ -- it's hard not to take the time to grab your camera and try to capture the reds and yellows that suddenly appear.

I didn't have time to set up on a tripod -- so the DOF was not what I would have liked. However, this shot turned out pretty good. It "will" loose some texture between the resolution I shot and that required to upload here.

My final settings were 60 at F5.6. With hand held, shutter speed should not be slower than a 60th -- so I then just kept opening the aperture until enough light came through to get the colors I was seeing with my eyes. It is shot in manual mode.

Am looking forward to getting the old tripod out -- and going for F20.0 to F40.0, and messing around with various settings to get these beautiful QZ sunset colors onto my hard drive. :)

The camera used here was a Canon Digital Rebel XT using a Tamron 18-200 lens.

Attachments

• QZSunsetSmall.jpg
    QZSunsetSmall.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 105
Bob,

Nice shot. You will be busy with all the sunsets available in QZ. :)

I've been thinking about the Digital Rebel XTi. Can't afford the D5 that has 12mpx!! :) I'll probably just stick with the original Digital Rebel as it does a very decent job. Can't wait to get my photo of Moab back from the gallery.

Thank you all for those nice comments on my 1st QZ sunset of '07. I appreciate that.

Jim, your Moab pic "would" look great on the fan tail of your rig. I hope you do that . . .

Ron -- actually, I bracketed until there was no sunset. The ones later began showing more black than red. The one posted had enough light below the clouds to give me more, and vivid, reds than any of the others.

Looking forward to talking, shooting, and experiencing good photography with all of you at QZ '07. :) :)

Wendy,

The skies in Phoenix have been so clear lately, that we haven't had many decent sunsets.  The other days it was completely overcast and you couldn't see the sun :)

coffeegroup said:
Thanks for sharin' your pix. I checked out your albums too. Sweet. You do some from the air too?

Well, you are welcome, John. I appreciate your positive comments on my photography. That was a special shot in that it happened all of a sudden and I had to hand hold to get it. There was enough light under the clouds to give the overlying cloud mass a color and texture that turned out better than some of my lengthy, thought out, setups.

The highest altitude I have taken a pic have been those from atop my RV.  :)  I can recall taking some pics from Estes Park a few years back -- and some from Winter Park in CO many, many years ago when I was trying to learn how to ski. Berthoud pass is a little over 11,000 whereas Trail Ridge Road rising out of Estes Park is over 12,000. The paved road to the summit of Mount Evans in CO is over 14,000 and the highest paved road in the US, if I recall.

There are several commercial photographers in Quartzsite that take aerial pics for  sale during the shows. They also market post cards that are interesting in terms of "before" and "after" the crowds arrive.

I read here that you are new to this forum. We are glad you joined and wish you well in your plans to become a full time RVer one day. From your posts and questions, are you into photography in some form or other?

Ned said:
Wendy,

The skies in Phoenix have been so clear lately, that we haven't had many decent sunsets.  The other days it was completely overcast and you couldn't see the sun :)

Sunsets at Lake Mead and Glen Canyon weren't all that spectacular either. But I still wish I was there.

Wendy
Home in Cortez with 2-3 inches of snow expected tomorrow

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom