R-7 walls and roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csarm

I live in AZ and am looking at a trailer with R-7 walls and partially replaced roof. In the summer it gets to be 110 degrees and in the winter it can get down to 10 degrees. Is R-7 sufficient?

Most "four season" trailers have R-14 in the walls and R-20 or better in the roof and floor. This is often augmented with Reflectix to give the roof a stated insulation value of R-30 or better. Reflectix really isn't insulation as it only reflects radiant heat but is often touted as such in advertisments.

R-7 is about average for a vacation quality trailer. I have a R-7 insulated trailer in Pahrump and with a single air conditioner it's OK up to about 90 in the summer. Above that the interior temperature climbs accordingly. I haven't had it much below freezing yet.

Most of your heat gain/loss will be through windows and the slideouts. Unless you have a heavily insulated trailer your windows will be single pane glass which transmits a lot of heat. Most slideouts have little or on insulation in their ceilings or floors, especially if it's a flat floor slideout where there isn't a lot of room for insulation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom