Rack for scooter AND Bikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rvliberty

I am looking for a trailer hitch rack that will carry a small motor scooter and two bicycles.  I haven't found the best solution yet, but I am thinking of getting a scooter rack and having a vertical bar welded to the carrier just where it clears the back of the coach.  On the bar I want to add a separate hitch carrier to mount a two bike rack over the top of the scooter.  Has anyone seen anything like this?  Other ideas for carrying both?  I am not a fan of the ladder carriers as I don't see how they can keep the bikes from beating each other and the rig.  Comments and or suggestions are welcomed.

Keep in mind the total weight carrying capacity of your hitch.  On a class C, it is common to be a lighter hitch (3500 lb pull, 350 lb hitch weight).  With a scooter and two bikes - plus the weight of the carrier itself, you might be pushing it.

If you are looking for a lightweight bike rack for RV, you can get this scooter rack from Black Widow. I bought this to allow me to load a heavy E-bike on the back of my Ford Escape SUV. It was easy to assemble, and it’s been very easy to install and load my bike using the ramp that comes with it. It works perfectly for my 4” fat tire bike and was much less expensive than most of the racks out there designed specifically for E-bikes.

.. a vertical bar welded to the carrier just where it clears the back of the coach. On the bar I want to add a separate hitch carrier to mount a two bike rack over the top of the scooter...
You pose an intriguing situation. I don't have an answer but offer some food for thought.
A lower center of gravity tends to be more stable. This sounds like you'll be putting weight higher yet. You may want to include a means of stabilizing left-right movement.
We abandoned our "hanging" bicycle rack (bikes suspended by cross-bars) in favor of a "platform" bicycle rack (which cradles the tires of the bikes) after hitting an unseen divot in a driveway. The downward motion of the trailer's tire was translated into a left-right motion of the hanging rack, like an upside-down pendulum, which bent the rack 25 degrees from vertical.
Maybe a swivel-wheel type trailer would work for your application.

To prevent damage from bikes banging around, I use pieces of pool noodles

500 lbs tongue weight does not mean its OK to hang that weight 24 inches from the receiver. Tongue weight is usually expected to be exerted within 8 to 10 inches. The further back you go, the more the moment arm affects the hitch, rack, bikes bouncing around, etc.

Now, I know what you are thinking, you are hanging them above the scooter, the weight is close to the back of the MH, not hanging way out, but the issue becomes the HEIGHT of the weight above the receiver, its still a moment arm.

Charles

The message from the guy who asked was more than ten years old. And he has not been in this forum since year 2014.

-Don- Auburn, CA

1673108530468-png.160727

There are some good brands of scooter racks for RV that you can consider as Range Powersports, Ecotric, GoPlus, 7Blacksmiths, TMS R-NS, Apex, GudCraft, and Ego Bike, etc. In addition, MaxxHaul and Black Widow also are the best choices, using lightweight but super-strong materials to accommodate scooters without exceeding the motorhome’s gross weight limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom