Rain getting through Coleman-Mach A/C.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tulecreeper

I think the easiest thing for me to do is drill the nut out and use a thicker rod with a washer and nut on top. I can easily reach the top of the rod where I need the nut.

-Don- 78572
If you have easy access to the nut, then that is a better idea. Not that you probably need the thicker rod, but you may as well go that route as it will only take a minute to drill out the nut. Don't go cheap, use a real good drill bit so your not messing with it forever. And watch your wrist. That bit is going to want to bite those messed up threads and stop, yanking the drill around.

Ray-IN

Thanks for all that good info. I have several tap and die sets at my houses, but I never even thought about trying to tap that small nut.

I will order that Long Bolt Package just before I get home.

-Don- Mission, TX
Remember, these are metric bolts and threads normally. You can measure the new bolts to make sure if you have a set of dial/digital calipers for measuring.

DonTom

Remember, these are metric bolts and threads normally. You can measure the new bolts to make sure if you have a set of dial/digital calipers for measuring.
I expect everything to be metric these days. For an example, my electric motorcycle I have with me is built in Scott's Valley, CA. Everything in it is metric.

I own several digital calipers, but I do not think I have one with me. But I do have a lot of tools in this RV, so it is possible, I just have not looked.

There is a HFT ten miles from here. Also, a Home Depo and other hardware stores. This area has everything. But not a great day for riding motorcycles. Still nonstop rain until tomorrow and I am stuck inside the RV until then.

But some very sunny days are coming. I could even stay here longer than a week just to enjoy some sunny warm weather here.

-Don- 78572

Rene T

Site Team
You crack me up.

It's in his sig line.................2022.
If you look closely at his signature line he lists 2 rv’s.
One is a 2000 and the other is a 2022. So tell me where did I go wrong.

I am careful, are you?🥸

Last edited:

Lou Schneider

Site Team
Does your RV have a flat roof? I had an older Winnebago where the a/c gasket was fine, but the weight of the a/c made the roof sag enough so whenever it rained the water puddled deep enough to get in through the weep holes that normally send the condensation onto the roof. My temporary solution was to park slightly off-level so the roof could drain.

DonTom

Does your RV have a flat roof? I had an older Winnebago where the a/c gasket was fine, but the weight of the a/c made the roof sag enough so whenever it rained the water puddled deep enough to get in through the weep holes that normally send the condensation onto the roof. My temporary solution was to park slightly off-level so the roof could drain.
Yeah, I would say it is as flat as can be and not sagging. But no doubt my problem is what Gary mentioned as one of the 20 mm (8") long bolts was not doing anything at all. And this RV was built that way. Somebody screwed up and just covered it up. I wonder how often that happens.

-Don- Mission, TX

Mark_K5LXP

I wonder how often that happens.

That's just the one you've found. There are likely more you haven't yet. Just like bug parts in peanut butter it's not a matter of if, it's how many in a given unit.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Ray-IN

There's a permanent fix for that. Cut tapered on each end shims about 3' long to go under the roof decking on top of the rafters, then short standard shims to fit the East/West sides and raise the roof about one inch around the A/C unit. Once fitted, glue in place.

Lou Schneider

Site Team
There's a permanent fix for that. Cut tapered on each end shims about 3' long to go under the roof decking on top of the rafters, then short standard shims to fit the East/West sides and raise the roof about one inch around the A/C unit. Once fitted, glue in place.
Thanks, but I no longer have that motorhome. Joe Lacey came up with an easier fix, making a collar out of 1x4s to raise the a/c above the flood level.

DonTom

After the hike in the park yesterday, I took a motorcycle ride to the closest Home Depot and got what I needed to do a permanent fix. Job is now completed. The stock bolt on the bottom left, the one I changed is the silver one on the bottom right side, with a couple of washers and nuts on top.

Thanks Gary, for explaining how to fix the leak!

acfix.JPG
-Don- Mission, TX

Rene T

Site Team
When you did not notice my photo here. I don't think that looks much like my old Class C shown here. :)

-Don- Mission, TX
It all started in my post #12. I asked how old the rv was. The reason I asked was that you had two rv’s listed in your signature so I figured you had two rv’s.
Then I got thrown under the bus in posts #15 and 17. I thought my question was legit.
ziplock never did respond to my post #24

Top Bottom