Rand McNally RVND 7710 GPS No More Map Updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emiddleb

Well, got a rude surprise today. I have a 7 year old Rand McNally GPS model RVND 7710. Got a popup msg that my maps were out-of-date and realized I hadn't received a new map file in a couple years. I do have the "Lifetime Subscription" for maps that I paid extra for when I purchased the unit.

Talking to RM tech support I found the 7710 is no longer supported and there will be NO future map updates for the model.

Very irritating. Paid for "Lifetime" and unit is only 7 years old. Can almost see not getting any more OS updates, but how hard could it be to post map updates when (for now) they are still posting them for the later models?

Anyways, just FYI and a head's up on both the Rand McNally units and their idea of support.

Yep very sad, sorry to hear that.  Same thing happened with the navigation system in my truck.  Its no longer supported and no new maps so ill just have to drive on old roads i guess.  Oh but they did suggest of course that i replace the unit and then pay approx $400 a year for the service, i think not...  Its better to just use the cell phone and one of the map websites IMO.  I dont really need some voice talking to me anyway as i drive telling me to go here or go there.  The thing would probably be tossed out the window very quickly :)

Yeah companies make a killing for extended warranties, lifetime subscriptions, all that kind of stuff.  Some internet places love to sell you insurance on your powerstrip and the box too. Then after years of paying that they tell you oh just toss it in the trash we dont have that unit anymore.  Its all part of profit for their pockets. 

Not to change the subject but just to say that as a consumer the only thing IMO that is worth it is the extra insurance you can get with a rental car if you plan to have it only a short time.  I have seen people that paid less than $20 one time and the company had to replace the car from an accident. To me thats savings, no deductable no nothing.

One thing for sure these companies (all of them, electronic and otherwise) know how to upsell and get you worried about what "might" happen, and they make millions of dollars doing so.  They want to sell extras, not pay claims..

Like most people, you didn't read the description of "Lifetime Updates". Whatever updates are available are free for the life of the unit, but they didn't promise to ever issue any updates.  I just had an older TomTom GPS go the same way, and have had it happen to others in the past. The good news is that maps don't change that rapidly, but POI data can get woefully out of date. You can probably update POIs on your own, though. Try POIFactory.com

And yes, there is a cost of providing updates for older models. As improvements are made in each generation of product, the older ones become less and less compatible and the maps have to be tweaked to work on older gear.  As a guy whose career was developing computers and software products, I can assure you its not a trivial task to provide support for multiple different levels of a product.

I agree with Gary. We replaced our oldest GPS unit when it couldn?t be updated anymore. In that case it was that it didn?t have enough memory for the new maps with the additional information GPS units now provide. Modifying the data set for a few older units doesn?t make much business sense, and it is prone to error anyway. I figure I had the unit for about 4 years, it was under $200, and it was worth a $1 a week to me. I wanted the newer unit anyway for the additional screen size and information.

emiddleb said:
Well, got a rude surprise today. I have a 7 year old Rand McNally GPS model RVND 7710. Got a popup msg that my maps were out-of-date and realized I hadn't received a new map file in a couple years. I do have the "Lifetime Subscription" for maps that I paid extra for when I purchased the unit.

Talking to RM tech support I found the 7710 is no longer supported and there will be NO future map updates for the model.

Very irritating. Paid for "Lifetime" and unit is only 7 years old. Can almost see not getting any more OS updates, but how hard could it be to post map updates when (for now) they are still posting them for the later models?

Anyways, just FYI and a head's up on both the Rand McNally units and their idea of support.

Yup. Same with Garmin, and TomTom.
They always meant lifetime of the product, not YOUR lifetime.

While I was indeed venting, my post was mostly intended as a head's up to owners of the 7710 and other models.  When one pays over $350 for a GPS that stops getting "Lifetime" maps after only 5 years (last update) I call it out.  No, sorry, my 40+ years with major software/hardware companies (most with 3 initials) tells me it's not that expensive to continue the maps.  The data is supplied, the tools are in place, the distribution is electronic.  "Lifetime" is what they say, yes, but 5 years (2 years since last update) is a very short time to call it end-of-life.  Especially since on this unit the map updates were only once/year, so "Lifetime" only meant 5 updates for the product.

Anyways, will shut up as I obviously offended.

Anyways, will shut up as I obviously offended.
Not at all, and it deserves to be called out. There are a lot of 7710 owners here and elsewhere who are going to be disappointed soon.  I don't think anybody disagrees with your sentiment, but some of us have learned to expect this "caveat emptor" sort of thing.

The rapid pace of enhancements and re-designs in the electronics world makes it impractical to be have both a moderate price and long term support.  Plus, of course, the manufacturer is motivated to churn the market with new (or at least new-appearing) models to keep sales up and appeal to a market that is infatuated with the notion that "new" is a necessity.

Well, on another forum a poster told me he is still getting updates for his 12 year old GPS from a different manufacturer, and a different poster mentioned that Garmin's equivalent of "lifetime maps" allows you to transfer the license to newer models when you upgrade.  It's a one-time $100 fee for the initial "lifetime", about the same as what Rand charged.  So I do still maintain that 5 years or so is chintzy support.  Ah well, lesson learned.

I haven't paid extra for lifetime maps in quite some time - it was always included in the unit price.  These were Garmin & TomTom units.

My worst experience was with Magellan, who dropped all support for the in-dash GPS/Nav system in my coach when is was just over 2 years old. It was a POS anyway, so I replaced it with a Garmin in-dash model. I was still pretty ticked about it, though.

Well this explains why mine isn't working very good.
I updated it before our trip to Georgia and it wouldn't let me enter destinations. I ran diagnostic and it seemed ok.
  It has come up on screen that map data was over a year old but would not update. I increased the size of memory card but did not help.I have 2 RM s 5" and 7" screens
I think it time to look at a Garmin. Any one got advice on the Garmin RV 785

I don't know about the 785, but I have the RV 770 and am very pleased. And I'm still getting periodic map updates on my dezl 560LMT, which I've had for a number of years. Granted, though, that there haven't been updates for my StreetPilot 730 for several years now.

Robert K said:
I updated it before our trip to Georgia and it wouldn't let me enter destinations. I ran diagnostic and it seemed ok.
  It has come up on screen that map data was over a year old but would not update. I increased the size of memory card but did not help.I have 2 RM s 5" and 7" screens

We bought the RV 785 a couple of months ago and so far really like it. We haven?t explored all of it?s features yet, but what we have used we really like. The built in dash cam is a nice feature as we had considered getting one but didn?t want another device cluttering the dashboard. Mark sometimes gets irritated with the frontal distance (crash) and lane departure alerts. When someone cuts in front of you too close the alert goes off. You get used to it after awhile. But you definitely can?t be a tailgater with this GPS!  ;D (Although I?m sure there?s a way to turn them off if you wanted)

Vicki

thanks for the reply Vicke. I eventually think you would get used to the alerts.
When you read reviews you wonder why anyone would buy these RV gps, with there out of the way routing.

I have always thought my RM was pretty good up till recently. It gets a route stuck in it and will not get it right untill you pass every other possible route
Larry the 770 looks like it got some bad reviews when it first came out but have gotten better.

Larry N. said:
I don't know about the 785, but I have the RV 770 and am very pleased. And I'm still getting periodic map updates on my dezl 560LMT, which I've had for a number of years. Granted, though, that there haven't been updates for my StreetPilot 730 for several years now.
I just now finished updating both GPSs, including maps. It went well. So the dezl "lifetime" is still going strong.

I was very disappointed to find out that "Lifetime" to Rand McNally meant only for as long as they want to update the maps for us.  When I e-mailed their support about not receiving updates, they informed me that the unit is 10 years old and that they are not supporting that model any longer.  They then sent me a link to their Lifetime Update policy.  The only restrictions were:
If their supplier stopped giving them the maping information.
If the GPS memory wasn't large enough to hold the information.  If a card was used a link was given on how they would help to do that.
If the GPS just would require repairs. 

NOWHERE in there does it say "oh yeah, and if we decide it's over, it's over".  NOWHERE> 
I paid a bit more for this model with Lifetime Updates.  Looks like another company that can't be trusted. 

I have an even newer RVND 7725 and got the same answer from them. It will be a cold day in hell before I buy another Rand McNally product of any kind and I have and will be sharing this with anyone that wants a GPS. FYI I also have an even older GPS from Garmin that I had for the car that Garmin still supports and updates their "Lifetime" maps" Did it just yesterday on my 10 year old unit in contemplation on a flight to Vegas where they build new roads every week it seems.

No update for the 7725 either however my even older Garmin is still being supported by Garmin

I don't know about the RV unit but my NuVi which is older than my 7725 is still getting maps twice a year

Back
Top Bottom