Rapid City SD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheryl

Have any suggestions for a place to stay about 7 days near or around Rapid City, or near Mt Rushmore?
Thanks Cheryl
by the way looking for end of August (26th)

Do a search on rapid city on the destinations, rv parks page to turn up several threads with the results you want.

We stayed at? The Hart Ranch.? We were supposed to listen to a slaes pitch on purchasing a lot there but no one cme to give us the speil.? I enjoyed their pool.? They did have lots of rules and we parked too far over the end on their grass and had a knock on door to? tell us to get off grass.? It was a beautiful place, well manicured and? a convenient drive to most attractions.?

We also stayed at the? Rushmore KOA and it was a zoo.? Many many people there!? ?Lots of kids ....whew!

Betty

We also stayed at Hart Ranch for their 4 day demo. Sharon the sales rep was very low key and brief. (She is also a full timer who if currently president of the SKP Solo BOF so we had a great time talking to her.

Great park, friendly people, and lots of amenities and activities. We are not membership park advocates but this would probably be near the top of our list if we were.

cheryl said:
Have any suggestions for a place to stay about 7 days near or around Rapid City, or near Mt Rushmore?
Thanks Cheryl
by the way looking for end of August (26th)

If you're eligible to use military campgrounds, there is a nice FamCamp at Ellsworth AFB.

Holiday RV on south side of Rapid City and convenient to Rushmore. (20 minutes).  Very nice and pleasant place with free Wifi!

There is a fairly good FAM Camp at Ellsworth.  Many of the sites are not level but are blacktopped.  Don't remember now the proper way in since 9/11.  Try "military famcamps" on Google.  Probably good directions.

I Am Currently the camp host at Ellsworth until Next Sunday 8/12/07 but they have upgraded the pads they are all 12 ft wide concrete and all 50 amp.  the only thing is the price for a Military FamCamp. 20.00 per night and the Tent site's are unreal at $8.00 per two people and $3.00 each additional child,  Had enough of the OK today but not tomorrow. and after we got here they told us that they were going to give us a 1099 for our volunteer work of our site of $500.00 a month.

Neal Bicknese said:
after we got here they told us that they were going to give us a 1099 for our volunteer work of our site of $500.00 a month.

Since you're a camp host, I assume you're required to live in the park. Which means that the $500/month value of the site is added in as income and then deducted for adjusted gross income. They offset each other. Most places don't bother issuing a 1099 because of the offset.

Wendy

We were in Mt. Rushmore 2 weeks ago and stayed at the Mt. Rushmore/Palmer Gulch KOA.  It was very nice.  Great location - only 5 minutes from Mt. Rushmore and close to all the other attractions(i.e. Crazy Horse, Deadwood, Caves, Needles Highway etc.).  They have a nice swimming pool and terrific amenities for kids - play park, splash pool, mini-golf etc.  Wifi is also available.

Of our month long trip, this was one of our favourite RV Parks.

Nick:

We were there maybe ten years ago and though we loved the place we found the sites to be less than ideal.  They were long enough, but then not very level.  As all those military engineers that design these places they tend to build them ramp style to get long vehicles up there.  However, as I remember it, our front wheels were very much up in the air.  Had to put planks under them and get an additional portable step for the door entry.  We did not stay there on our subsequent visits, since we could find more level sites elsewhere.  Hopefully they fixed that situation. 

$20.00 is about the going price now for AFB FamCamps, especially if they offer 50 amps. 

Daisy

p. s.  I thought Ellsworth made the last round of closures???? 

Wendy:

In case that ever happens to us (we are thinking ov volunteering or workamping next summer) how do we go about filing the adjustment if we are issued a 1099?  does the adjustment apply equally for either workamping or volunteering?

Smoky (and any other workcampers out there) -

The campground shouldn't even issue a 1099 since according to IRS regs, "the value of housing/lodging furnished to an employee by the employer as a working condition fringe benefit shall be excluded from the employee's gross income if all three of the following criteria are met":

1.  The housing must be furnished on the business premises.

2.  The  housing must be furnished for the employer's convenience.

3.  The employee must be required to accept the housing as a condition of
    employment.

Campground hosts are typically required to live in the campground so the value of the campsite is non-taxable.

Wendy (BSBA/MBA Accounting if anyone's interested)

wendycoke said:
Smoky (and any other workcampers out there) -

The campground shouldn't even issue a 1099 since according to IRS regs, "the value of housing/lodging furnished to an employee by the employer as a working condition fringe benefit shall be excluded from the employee's gross income if all three of the following criteria are met":

1.  The housing must be furnished on the business premises.

2.  The  housing must be furnished for the employer's convenience.

3.  The employee must be required to accept the housing as a condition of
    employment.

Campground hosts are typically required to live in the campground so the value of the campsite is non-taxable.

Wendy (BSBA/MBA Accounting if anyone's interested)

Could it be argued that a spot to park a RV in not "housing"?

I seem to remember a couple of years ago on another forum, there was a couple on there that was audited by the IRS and they stated that they had to count as income the value of the "parking spot".

I'm not ***A/**A nothing, just askin'

That avatar in the Alaskan Snowbird message is definitely NOT Don, Peg or Jack.  ??? 

Wendy's message regarding 1099's for workkamper or volunteer housing or RV site is right on.  We have done lots of both and have never been issued a 1099 for our site.  It's always been considered a condition of employment.

Margi

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Could it be argued that a spot to park a RV in not "housing"?

Nope. Talked to the IRS about this when Mike worked for the park service and an RV site qualifies as housing, especially when it includes utilities. Also called them about a year ago to make sure in case we got into work camping and were told the same. Believe it or not, the IRS is pretty lenient on what qualifies as "housing." I suppose IRS could argue that the value of the "free" RV site exceeded the value of the work you did which would make the difference taxable but I doubt that they would and wouldn't the campground owners look stupid for giving you a $500 RV site for $100 worth of work?

And I still want to know who that hairy avatar is....I KNOW it's not Peg or Jack. Don I'm not so sure about....hair would keep you warm in Alaska.

Wendy

Back
Top Bottom