Re: New to RVing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dandon

We are the proud owners of a 40' 2003 Alpine Coach which we purchased in April of this year.  We are first timers and hope that we have not made a big mistake.  We have had it out once for a three day stint just to see how things work.  I found out the hard way that one mustn't forget that there is a whole lot of coach behind you when you turn right and I put a battle scar on the side of it by brushing against a stop sign.  Will get it fixed and figure I learned a lesson.  I really just wanted to say hi and introduce myself, Dan and my bride of 18 years, Donna.  Look forward to talking with other about there experiences.

Will be talking to you,

Dan

Welcome to the RV Forum!  The lesson you learned is that the turning radius of the rear wheels is shorter than that of the front wheels on  a long chassis.  It's a painful way to learn, and you may consider taking the coach to a large field or mall parking lot to become familiar with its turning and backing up characteristics.

When backing up,  most experienced RVers will have the co pilot go to the rear of the coach and spot for the driver.  The signals should be worked out in advance for turning and to stop.

The rule should be if the driver cannot see the spotter in either mirror, the coach does not move.

The spotter should watch for obstructions above the coach like branches and overhanging roofs as well as lateral clearances.

When we got our coach we enrolled in a bus driving course, which was well worth the money.

Looking forward to hearing about your travel plans for the future.

Enjoy the RV Forum!

Dan, don't feel like you are the only one to make that slip. My next door neighbor brought his new 5th wheel home the other day, and as he was turning the corner - you guessed it - the rear corner kissed a pickup parked by the side of the road.  Not too much damage, a taillight on the pickup and some skinned paint on the RV.  That made a believer out of me, I will pay more attention to the rear of my motorhome from now on.

Robert

Sorry to hear of the slight mishap.  Try finding an empty parking lot where you have lots of room and practice using cones or plastic cans as corner markers or obstacles.  When making a turn we find that giving ourselves ample clearance on the side we are turning to and continuing straight a head till you see your desired lane you intend to turn to approx 90 degrees to your right or left, as the case may be, then turning the steering wheel to make the turn.  Always keep an eye on the rear view mirror to insure everything behind you does clear obstacles. With a Little practice you will find what works for you.

Desertthorn said:
What a great idea. Where can? you take driving lessons. I think I could use that.

They are held around the country by various folks.  What parts do you live in?

Good to hear for you folks.  I was beginning to think there was non one there.  I appreciate all of the hints about drinving that monster.  I guess with practice and time I will get the hang of it.  Taking a class would probaby help greatly.  A large parking lot sounds like a plan to me.  I will try it.  Currently the coach is in the body shop getting my mis hap taken care of.  We have had it out once for a couple of nights and really enjoyed it.

We live in Apple Valley California.  I am looking at retiring in February of next year and Donna wants to try her hand at travel nursing.  I will get to be the driver from place to place.  That is if I can get her to let me have the wheel.  She really loves driving it.  Any how, it is great to hear form you all.  Looking forward to meeting some or all of you at an RV get together sometime.

dandon said:
Good to hear for you folks.? I was beginning to think there was non one there.? I appreciate all of the hints about drinving that monster.? I guess with practice and time I will get the hang of it.? Taking a class would probaby help greatly.? A large parking lot sounds like a plan to me.? I will try it.? Currently the coach is in the body shop getting my mis hap taken care of.? We have had it out once for a couple of nights and really enjoyed it.

We live in Apple Valley California.? I am looking at retiring in February of next year and Donna wants to try her hand at travel nursing.? I will get to be the driver from place to place.? That is if I can get her to let me have the wheel.? She really loves driving it.? Any how, it is great to hear form you all.? Looking forward to meeting some or all of you at an RV get together sometime.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

There are number nearby.? ? Here what a Google search revealed: http://www.rvschool.com/

Congrats on your new purchase! It must be the time to do these things as my husband and I just bought this weekend and are picking up on the 2nd of Aug ;D. Class A 33V Winnebago Voyage. I'm sure that we will have lots of stories. We are also from CA.Northern can't wait to get out of the snow this winter. Going to travel in the winter months when we are not busy with are business. Hope to see you out there.

Carl Lundquist said:
There are number nearby.? ? Here what a Google search revealed: http://www.rvschool.com/

I took the RV Driving School lessons several years ago from the above mentioned school.? Jerry Ray was my wonderfully patient instructor.? We left the hubby sitting in his La fuma chair in the? campground so I could have lessons in "peace and quiet."? We drove in my rig and about one hour into the lesson I was driving in the mountains using the exhaust brake and saying to Jerry, Don'tyou know I'm just a beginner?"? He said You're doing fine!.? Several years later I do not drive a lot but I make it a practice to get behind the wheel to keep in touch with the road.? This is when Terry goes to the back to have a nap.

When we got our new rig (six years ago)? Terry took the portion of the lesson which involved backing up, parking, pivot points etc.? It was helpful to him even with his many many miles of? RV driving eperience.? The lessons for? me , made me a much better navigator as I understand the turning radius (or lack thereof) much better.? Go for the  lessons!

Betty Brewer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom