Re: Newer w/high miles VS Older w/low miles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RV_TINTER

It seems no one has had experirence with the Rockwood brand, so I was wondering is it true what an RV salesman told me today.  I was comparing a 96 Dutchmen Class C with the Ford 460 that has 70,000 miles against the 92 Rockwood Class C with the Ford 460 that has 50,000 miles.  The salesman said that the newer model with higher mileage would be more dependable than the older unit with lower miles.  Is this true?  Isn't 70-80,000 miles when things start going wrong with motors and transmissions?  Would I be making a smarter investment with the 96 model over the 92 model?  The price between the two is about $2,000.

Generally...higher mileage...less dependable.  What you need to look at is the maintenance records.  If the high mileage MH previous owner maintained the vehicle meticulously, then it could be better than a low mileage that did not do anything.  You need to inspect both vehicles, without the salesman's input, very closely.  If not aware of what to look for, get an independent inspector to look at both.  $2000 is not a lot if things start to go south soon.

Hi, we have some experience with the Rockwood MH. We bought a new one in '88 and it was a great coach in every respect and served us well.......

Along about '90 or '91, we were touring the USA and stopped at the Rockwood factory in Indiana for a tour... It had just been sold by the family who started the business and demanded quality first and foremost.......

The outfit who bought it was the Cobra Company......Our tour guide was a recent Notre Dame graduate and management trainee who was soon to be looking for a new position .... He was definitely a disgruntled employee and had nothing good to say about the Cobra Co. He told us that the top management said that the quality was to be done away with and that they would sell as many as they can for a couple of years and then dump the company !!!!!!

They apparently did just that and are no longer in business....

A couple of years later we had the opportunity to examine a Cobra/Rockwood and it was indeed ?much lower in quality than the original ones.... ?

As I said, ?he was a disgruntled employee so take it for what it's worth.......................John S.

Thanks guys...this is great information to have.  This is why I joined the forum.  I don't have much money to spend, but I want to get the best unit I can for the money.  If both of the units are going to need repairs, I want the one that is going to hold it's value the longest.  Should I assume that the Rockwood is going to depreciate faster since they are no longer in business compared to the Dutchman?

I would certainly be very reluctant to buy a motorhome mfg by a company that no longer exists unless the price was irresistibly low. Even then I would be hesitant......

The major parts on the vehicle would be the same wouldn't they if they were both using ford chasis and motors?  Is it the actual camper parts that you are referring to like Dutchman or Rockwood? ???

The chassis parts, especially engine, transmission steering and suspension, will be readily available even if the coach manufacturer is defunct. Ditto for appliances (water heater, water pump, furnace, stove, fridge, roof a/c, converter/charger, microwave, etc.).  Minor components such as lighting, tv/cable switches, tv antenna, vcr, etc. are also standard parts that usually can be found in RV parts stores, though types and model change continually and exact matches don't always exist after a few years.  In short, there is very little risk in buying an orphan RV.  The things you can't get are interior and exterior trim and perhaps major body parts like the front and rear cap, which would need to be replaced if you had a major accident.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom