RE: RV Parks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sydny

I know most of you would look askance at anyone even mentioning "RV Parks"........ but wait a second, I've got a Question! I'm the new one on the block, and I am buying my first RV in January......selling the house, furniture, etc.  This next part is leading up to the Question:  Because the American Dream '99 is stored in Lake Havasu, I would prefer to drive it out of there, and in a more southerly direction.  One of the first things I DON'T want to do is drive in the snow!  I've checked several...well, many......RV Parks around the Phoenix area, and I need some help!

Looking at the "photo albums" the RV Parks present on the Internet, I am distraught that the MH?s are within an inch of each other, and there isn't a TREE to be seen for miles! Is it my imagination, or is this what I will have to encounter when I go to park my MH?

If anyone could direct me to a park that has some trees, where the MH's are more than a sneezing distance away from each other, and it's in a safe, non-snowy area, with the over 55+ crowd, I would REALLY appreciate it!  I'm not a loner, but I like a little space to breathe, and those pictures are enough to almost cancel my purchase due to an advanced case of claustrophobia!

Any suggestions would be a great pleasure, and I thank you for your assistance.

Sydny

When you camp in the desert, and that's what southern AZ is, you don't get a lot of trees :)  Not all parks have small lots, but you have to actually visit some to see what would be suitable for you.  I would suggest not looking for one park but spending a few days each at a number of parks that you think might be suitable.  If you find one you like, then you can ask about a longer rental.  In general, the nicer the park and the bigger the sites, the higher the price.

You shouldn't have any weather problems coming from Lake Havasu, it's a popular winter spot.  As you go south from there, you'll find many campgrounds in Parker, Quartzsite, and Yuma.  And that's just on highway 95.  Around the Phoenix and Tucson areas are many more parks so I'm sure you can find something you like.

Thank you, Ned, for your advice.? To travel around, and park for a couple days at a time, will certainly teach me quickly how to load and unload my MH!! I was wishing for somebody to say "Hey Sydny, there's a great place at so and so, and it's pretty cheap seeing that you have a concrete pad at a pull-in site!".? :-[

Guess I must be dreaming with blinders on, but I appreciate the information......especially the fact that Lake Havasu isn't one of the ski resort destinations!? Maybe I'll just see what the Lake area has before I go trompin' off into the treeless desert. Oh, by the way, if you think I might be "slightly" ignorant of? southwestern geography, you would be absolutely right!? I am moving from Hawaii after about 20 years, and now I feel it's time to see the USA on my own.? So, as you can see, your information was very pertinent to my thoughts for driving where the roads are free of snow!? ;D

We have a 99 American Eagle and the Dicks have a American Dream.  I think you will really enjoy your new to you American Dream.  We are in Yuma at a Park called Coyote Ranch.  no trees but the lots are easily double the average RV lot size.  Personally I don't really appreciate trees that block satellite internet.

Ron said:
We have a 99 American Eagle and the Dicks have a American Dream.? I think you will really enjoy your new to you American Dream.? We are in Yuma at a Park called Coyote Ranch.? no trees but the lots are easily double the average RV lot size.? Personally I don't really appreciate trees that block satellite internet.

(RE-SENT)
HI Ron!

Thank you for the encouragement about the American Dream!  Apparently, it has proven itself with the Dick's, and they must be happy with their coach!  You are absolutely right about the trees....I would rather have the satellite unimpeded for the computer, than to be stuck behind some branches unable to reach the world!

Coyote Ranch I have not seen in my internet wanderings, and will look it up tonite to see if it's feasible to drive from Lake Havasu on my first run!

Lake Havasu to Yuma would be about 3 hours or less driving time.  There are several RV parks in the Yuma area some even have trees.  There are several parks in the foothills area of Yuma that gets one out of the city traffic.

Sydny:

A month ago I was in your shoes.? I went full time in June, and by late September had left Montana and arrived at Kanab Utah and was wondering where in the world in Arizona I would winter.? Got lots and lots of suggestions.? My wife and I visited 6 different places and we settled on Pueblo El Mirage RV Resort in El Mirage just west of Phoenix.? We absolutely love it.? This summer they spent just uner 7 million dollars renovating the resort... new buildings, enormous new pool with over 300 sun chairs... refurbished exercise room, billiards, lawn bowling, quilting and sewing, their own 18 hole championship (Fuzzy Zoeller) golf course, clubhouse with restaurant and bar, woodworking shop, jewel making shop (they have a fancier name for that), computer room, library, their own post office, and many more things I can't recall at the moment.? Roberts Resorts who owns El Mirage, had just sold another RV park, and put the proceeds into sprucing this one up.? the results are magnificent.? Palm trees at every site, many sites, like ours, with fruit trees.? We have scrumptious pink grapefruit, and oranges on our site.

We liked the place so much we switched from a weekly rate and forked up their price for an annual lease, so that even though we will only be here 6 months of the year, we have nailed down our spot that is 100 feet from the pool.
?
Speaking of our spot, El Mirage advertises that they have the largest RV lots in the Phoenix area.? After viewing the other resorts we looked at, I believe them.? I can get the exact dimensions if you like.? Needless to say it is plenty large enough for us to have constructed a 10 by 14 foot shed, and house our diesel pusher, Ford Taurus station wagon, and a new golf cart we purchased here.

The prices are very competitive compared to other Phoenix / Tucson parks.? A bit higher though than Yuma which I think is growing rapidly but not as discovered yet by snowbirds.

We insisted on a park that had full facilities, lots of senior activities, and either owned their own golf course, or at least a golf package.? This one owns their own course and is is a beaut.

Make Quartzsite (an hour S of Lake Havasu) your first stop. Sample boondocking. Concider joining our rally the last week of January.

Guess I must be dreaming with blinders on, but I appreciate the information......especially the fact that Lake Havasu isn't one of the ski resort destinations!

On the contrary!  Lake Havasu is one of the great ski resorts of the west -- water skiing.  No lie.  ;D

HI Smoky!

Thank you very much for the encouragement and positive note.  You explained things very well, and after reading the other  suggestions, it is good to know someone else has recently started their new life on the road!

I'm starting out by myself, but moving to the mainland from 20 years in Hawaii is a little daunting.  Still in the process of selling my house and contents, then hope by the end of December I can fly into Lake Havasu to pick up my coach (1999 American Dream). Because the area is new, the rig is large, and the roads go forever, I want to settle on something a little closer than 300+ miles! So, I appreciate your suggestions, and empathy, hoping I can find a place where I would like to be able to return year after year also.

Smoky said:
Sydny:

A month ago I was in your shoes.? I went full time in June, and by late September had left Montana and arrived at Kanab Utah and was wondering where in the world in Arizona I would winter.? Got lots and lots of suggestions.? My wife and I visited 6 different places and we settled on Pueblo El Mirage RV Resort in El Mirage just west of Phoenix.? We absolutely love it.? This summer they spent just uner 7 million dollars renovating the resort... new buildings, enormous new pool with over 300 sun chairs... refurbished exercise room, billiards, lawn bowling, quilting and sewing, their own 18 hole championship (Fuzzy Zoeller) golf course, clubhouse with restaurant and bar, woodworking shop, jewel making shop (they have a fancier name for that), computer room, library, their own post office, and many more things I can't recall at the moment.? Roberts Resorts who owns El Mirage, had just sold another RV park, and put the proceeds into sprucing this one up.? the results are magnificent.? Palm trees at every site, many sites, like ours, with fruit trees.? We have scrumptious pink grapefruit, and oranges on our site.

We liked the place so much we switched from a weekly rate and forked up their price for an annual lease, so that even though we will only be here 6 months of the year, we have nailed down our spot that is 100 feet from the pool.
?
Speaking of our spot, El Mirage advertises that they have the largest RV lots in the Phoenix area.? After viewing the other resorts we looked at, I believe them.? I can get the exact dimensions if you like.? Needless to say it is plenty large enough for us to have constructed a 10 by 14 foot shed, and house our diesel pusher, Ford Taurus station wagon, and a new golf cart we purchased here.

The prices are very competitive compared to other Phoenix / Tucson parks.? A bit higher though than Yuma which I think is growing rapidly but not as discovered yet by snowbirds.

We insisted on a park that had full facilities, lots of senior activities, and either owned their own golf course, or at least a golf package.? This one owns their own course and is is a beaut.

Water skiing in Janary?????  Must make the wetsuit companies rich!!  ;D

Carl Lundquist said:
On the contrary!? ?Lake Havasu is one of the great ski resorts of the west -- water skiing.? ?No lie.? ;D

As Russ suggested it would be great if you could join us at the RV Forum rally at Quartzsite in January.  A great place to meet many of the framily.

When looking for the RV Park that suits you best I would recommend looking around before committing to a long term stay.  Parks in the Yuma area are just as nice but about 1/2 the cost of parks in the Phoenix area and you don't have to deal with the traffic conjestion.  There are framily in Yuma, Phoenix, and Tuscon areas as well as the Thomases in Serra Vista.  Your interests may also help determine where you want to park.

>> Guess I must be dreaming with blinders on, but I appreciate the information......especially the fact that Lake Havasu isn't one of the ski resort destinations!? Maybe I'll just see what the Lake area has before I go trompin' off into the treeless desert.
====

Hi Sydny:

Daily annual highs range from 108 in the summer down to 65 in January. Check out this site:

http://beta.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/vacationclimatology/monthly/USAZ0116

As Carl mentions, Havasu is known as the Jet/Water ski capital of the western states - and perhaps a wet suit or so in mid winter, but only for a couple of months. For sure no snow? 8).

Have attached a couple of pics I took a year or so ago while installing my SW in a Havasu park. The 1st pick is of my rig in that park. It was not an upscale resort type park -- so the sites are not super wide. However, I post it to show you the kind of trees you will find in that area. Notice how far back I had to park to see the satellite from atop my rig. They moved me three times because there were too many trees. There are many larger, upscale parks with wider sites I'm sure. So yes, check out the area as a possibility.

The other pic is of The London Bridge. The bridge goes from just west of the I95 freeway to an island. Note the boat moorings on both sides of the channel and the jet skier having just passed under the bridge. And this was in early January. From most any mooring around the island you can jump in your boat, houseboat or on your jet ski and go up the Colorado all the way to Laughlin, NV for lunch, and then return. Many do just that. It's an absolute paradise if into water sports.

Attachments

• HavasuPark.JPG
    HavasuPark.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 42
  • londonBridge.jpg
    londonBridge.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 36
HI Bob!

Thank you for the information, and pictures, of the Lake Havasu RV Park.? You didn't mention what park you were you were in, but the picture of your site? looks like an area I could easily live in! I will have a satellite also, so I will probably have to scoot around to make sure I have adequate reception.

Thank you again for the pics, Bob......very enlightening
!

Water skiing in Janary??  Must make the wetsuit companies rich!! 

Hey, Gidget movies to the contrary, a lot of surfing in the Pacific states is done in wetsuits.  The Pacific is a cold ocean off the coast of California down to about San Diego.

>>You didn't mention what park you were you were in, but the picture of your site? looks like an area I could easily live in! I will have a satellite also, so I will probably have to scoot around to make sure I have adequate reception.
====
Sydny, the park was the London Bridge RV Park  north of downtown on London Bridge Road. Not a large park and no resort type amenities -- and only open during the winter months.

>> Thank you again for the pics, Bob......very enlightening
====
You're welcome -- glad they helped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom