Re: What supplies do i need for this project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hi,  OK all done they came out really nice.

New wood (yes yellow) lol 

Everything has two coats of paint other than the top of the treads, they have 3-4 coats.  Its still a bit sticky from the humidity, it does not come off on my shoes but when i touch it, its sticky. 

I put the refurbished handrail on the hinge side of the door for several reasons.  I already have a hand hold on the other side, with the rail on the hinge side it will keep the door from getting away from me in the wind, and it also allows me that extra hand hold if i need it.

First pics are some more of before - i trashed all that wood it was rotten.  And i screwed up my measurments for the risers, i was 6 inches short so i should have gotten a 10 footer 1x4 instead of an 8 footer.  But i was able to find a short piece of 1x4 and i patched them together with an overlapping joint, its not very professional but it works.  You can see in the pic where i had to patch the riser.

All i need to do now is level them and screw them to my deck.

Attachments

• 0720180800 (Medium).jpg
    0720180800 (Medium).jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 47
  • SANY0003 (Medium).jpeg
    SANY0003 (Medium).jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 37
  • SANY0004 (Medium).jpeg
    SANY0004 (Medium).jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 41
  • SANY0005 (Medium).jpeg
    SANY0005 (Medium).jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 46
Nice job. The only thing I would do is open the door till it touches the railing then see where they make contact. Then go to Home Depot or Lowe's and pick up a piece of that foam piping insulation and apply it to that spot on the railing. If you don't, there's a good chance you'll damage/mark the door from hitting the railing without some type of protection. Again, well done.

Thanks Rene,  i still have a piece of 2x4 left over so i thought i would put a verticle support on the trailer side of the handrail.  There are already two holes there about 4 inches up from the step so ill just run it from the frame to those holes.  It will give it more stiffness if i should happen to fall against it.  I do have a small piece of that tubing ill add it as you suggested as well.  :)

Lowes also has these and a great price..

https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-Stair-Treads/3056225  i assume vinyl can be outside as well.

durangod said:
Lowes also has these and a great price..

https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-Stair-Treads/3056225  i assume vinyl can be outside as well.

The only issue I see here is that water from rain will get under the vinyl and stay wet for a long time like maybe days and eventually will find it's way into the wood and rot the wood IMHO.

I don't know what the width/depth of your 2 bottom treads are but they look a little narrow. Be careful going down. It may be easy to slip off because of lack of surface area.  Especially if you've got big feet like the Duke.  ;D

Good Eye Rene! 

Yes they are just a bit narrow, i have enough space for a 1x2 on the front side of them which i was going to paint white as trim so maybe that will help with the surface area.  Other than that im sort of stuck as it is i guess.  True about the vinyl treads i dont want mildew either, although i could put a bit of silicone under them, but ill probably just get stick on rubber tread covers next time i run accross them.

I suppose i should have used 2x12 instead of 2x10.  I can always get a 2x12 and replace the two lower steps i guess.

durangod said:
Good Eye Rene! 

Yes they are just a bit narrow, i have enough space for a 1x2 on the front side of them which i was going to paint white as trim so maybe that will help with the surface area.  Other than that im sort of stuck as it is i guess.  True about the vinyl treads i dont want mildew either, although i could put a bit of silicone under them, but ill probably just get stick on rubber tread covers next time i run accross them.

I suppose i should have used 2x12 instead of 2x10.  I can always get a 2x12 and replace the two lower steps i guess.

I would remove the tread and put the 1 X 2 towards the back and then reinstall the tread.

Well Rene as it turns out the local lumber yard gave me a 2x8 instead of a 2x10, i should have verified, my bad.    But i put the trim piece on the front side with a 1x3 under it for support and 4 screws into the other tread.  So that gives me a 9 inch tread which is not perfect but better.  If it ever breaks then ill take it apart and put the other piece in the back next time.  I did call the local store and tell them to be sure to do some local staff training but ultimately its up to me to verify and i didnt.

I try to do business with the local store as much as possible not only because lowes is 35 miles away but also because i want to support local business.  But this local store here they sure dont help you make sure you got everything you need.  I go in there and tell them exactly what im doing and that its my first time. I tell them what i think i need and i end up getting that.  But numerious times now i have had to go back 2 or three times to get things that they should have asked if i needed or had for the job.  I know true value preaches that so maybe ill try them to see if they are better at things than this other local store.

Here is the final project 

Attachments

• SANY0001 (Medium).jpeg
    SANY0001 (Medium).jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 15
  • SANY0002 (Medium).jpeg
    SANY0002 (Medium).jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 8
You can make an easy and cheap nonskid tread by putting a thick, fresh coat of paint on the steps, then sprinkle sand on it while the paint is still wet.  Use a roller to press the sand into the paint and it will stay there when the paint dries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom