Reading the new fancy electric meters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Anyone know how to read these new fancy electric meters, there is all kinds of data flashing and cycling.  What is it i am looking for on the display to know how much i have used?

This is a new electric meter and new install so it started at 0, so i would think it should be easy right...

Sorry for the confusion, im talking about the one that the electric company puts out on the pole in front of my lot that is fully digital and automatically sends them data.

Why not call your electric company and ask them?  There are dozens of meter brands and we have no way to guess what brand & model of meter they chose for you.

The few I've looked at simply showed KWH in decimal digits; all the other data the meter reports was not displayed.

Duke Power recently installed new digital meters in my neighborhood.  They gave us a brochure that listed some of the things we could do and referred to their website for more information.  I haven't checked the website, so that's the extent of my knowledge.

I checked the website early this morning and nothing at all about how to read them, they talk about them but not how to read them.  But i think ill go out and see what brand it is and maybe i can find some info that way... :)

Thanks

Mine shows a bunch of eights like "8888888" then the next number that shows up is the kwh. After that are other numbers like date and time, then back to the eights. But there are different digital meters so yours may not be the same. There are uTube videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G9I1unyOqY

Thanks for the youtube link... :)

I found another one as well that is a bit easier and basic...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds1G1UvouHc

So far this month i have used 288 KWH which is not bad, at the old place i used about 300 KWH other than summer and about 600 KWH in the summer so its right on line with that.  So unless there is a surprise looks like about 600 KWH for the month and about a $50 electic bill, which is great....

So i wonder if i have a problem (watch the video), is the electric company going to ask me to go out and look at the meter and tell them if it is sending and receiving to the grid with the lines under the numbers?  They should be able to tell remotely right?

Electromagnetic radiation is also emitted by your wireless router, microwaves, cell phones, etc. So the only real way to block it is a tinfoil hat. Please post pictures of yourself with the style of hat that works best for you  :)

My old meter transmitted the reading as a truck drove down the street. The new meter transmits over the power wires.

TheBar said:
Electromagnetic radiation is also emitted by your wireless router, microwaves, cell phones, etc. So the only real way to block it is a tinfoil hat. Please post pictures of yourself with the style of hat that works best for you  :)

So, who are you talking to?  ???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom