rear axle tires wearing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
My son bought a new Jayco 19' travel trailer 1 and 1/2 years ago.  They have approximately 10,000 miles on it.  After their summer trip this year they noticed the rear axle tires wearing badly on the inside tread.  The front axle tires are great.  He plans to replace them before their next long trip in summer of 2013.  The tires now are ST and he will be putting LTs on them.

Anyone have an idea of what is causing the inside wearing of the just the rear axle?  Also there is more wear on the driver's side tire.

Marsha~

Years ago when I worked at a major NE tire distributor that also had a service center we a a guy with a twin axle utility trailer with this same problem. Turn out he was hauling it with the hitch end high putting extra load on the rear axle. This overloaded the axle and under load actually caused it to bend slightly which in turn caused inside tire wear.

ken

Bent axle.  A good friend came to Mn from AZ  this summer and hit a pothole in Wy.  By the time he got to Mn, his tires were cupped on the inside.  He
replaced both axles and drove back to Az with no wear.  Each new axle cost him $129.00 and a few hours to replace which he did himself.

Sounds like a bent axle if wearing on the inside edge of both tires.

Does the trailer sit level when hitched and loaded for travel?  If nose high, the rear axle gets a disproportionate share of the load and can be overstressed even though the total trailer weight is within the GVWR.

Thanks everyone for the info; I'll pass it on.  He is taking it into a trailer shop to have it looked at.  I was thinking a bent axle.  I didn't even think about not being level and putting more weight onto the rear axle.

I had a horse trailer that did this but only on one side.  I had hit a curb and it bent; had it straighten out and it was fine from then on.

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom