Rear Fiberglass Cap Damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have no intention of using the insurance do not reach out to them to see what they'll do. Why? Because some insurance companies will record and possibly assess your premium based on what you told them regardless if you file a claim. This happened to a relative.

Estimated cost to repair is as simple as running it by a few body shops and letting the pros take a look at it. Any good body man can repair it, especially if it's just cosmetic. Labor is running about $130-$150 an hour these days.

You didn't read my whole post.

I don't care if I'm covered. I don't want my insurance rates to go up.
Sorry. Just trying to help. That’s what we do here. Just one more thing like Gary said you don’t have to accept the results but at that time you could ask them if your rates would go up and how much then you could decide. I’m done. Sorry again.

Estimated cost to repair is as simple as running it by a few body shops and letting the pros take a look at it.

I Googled ”auto body shops” in El Paso, TX (your location) and a very long list of shops appeared.

However, I mentioned in my reply that there are no such shops nearby to me. I would have to drive a long distance to get to a body shop. Not worth it and ultimately probably too expensive.

[For future reference] It's not a given that your premiums would increase just becasue you had a claim. It appears to be a "not at fault" accident and many companies don't consider them a risk increase.

[For future reference] It's not a given that your premiums would increase just becasue you had a claim. It appears to be a "not at fault" accident and many companies don't consider them a risk increase.
Since I'm planning a relatively cheap fix, why chance it?

Besides, they might well ask 'Since you knew the brakes didn't work, why didn't you drive separately?'

Since I'm planning a relatively cheap fix, why chance it?
The only thing that I would suggest is that if you have not done so, get a bright light and check carefully up inside of the rear cap for possible damage there. When our coach was hit in the corner of the rear cap while on a campsite by a riding mower, there was some damage there which I had not seen but the fiberglass boat & RV shop found and showed to me.
'Since you knew the brakes didn't work, why didn't you drive separately?'
Some people might but that is a question that really doesn't matter now.

Per the OP's sig this is a 2001 unit. I would wonder what the insurance company would total this out for, but it's not hard to guess that just about any body damage would be enough. So then you end up with a check for a few thou and a salvage title, a claim on his record and having to deal with it all yourself anyway. I don't even carry collision on my RV and it's newer than his. Once they reach a certain point it's repair by replacement so if he can get by with a "patch" I think he's doing the best thing financially.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I suspect Mark is right - an official repair estimate would almost surely result in a total loss declaration.
This also begs the question about what the insurance will say if, once it has been home-repaired there is another claim? Will the adjuster see the repairs and deny any new claim based on previous undeclared damage?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom