Rear mounted spare wheel used for storage.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

I came across this great idea on the "Humble Road" Youtube web site. Have not been able to get response on source of the plastic hatch. Maybe it is from boating or a kayak hatch. Any ideas??? Would be a great place to store black water dumping hoses and stuff like that. That's it!! I knew if I wrote it down it would pop into my mind! Amazon:

SEAFLO 4" - 8" Black Circular Non Slip Inspection Hatch w/Detachable Cover. $12 for black or white.​

Attachments

• Spare storage.jpg
    Spare storage.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 21
I'm willing to bet that is a dully wheel. That is a Sprinter, if a 3500 it has the offset dual wheels and this leaves quite a bit of room inside the rim. Would not work with normal wheels.

This is an aluminum Sprinter 3500 wheel (could not find a pic of a plain old steel rim positioned to where the open inside showed.)

251802DB_27a9e2e7-111f-4f23-8e10-549977352811_1024x1024.jpg

Thats a 16 inch diameter rim so there is a fair amount of room inside it. They mount on the spare bracket as this one is turned with the dish facing outward.

Now, I had a Sprinter chassis motorhome, a Winnebago View, and the spare tire cover was falling apart (and there was a bird nest inside the wheel when I removed the cover) so I bought a hybrid cover made by Boomerang. It was intended as a cheap replacement cover for the G-wagen but was the proper size for a perfect fit. It has a rear dish that is ABS plastic with a vinyl/fabric section sew on it that covers the tread and has a bungee on the side away from you to retain it.
Boomerang G-wagen spare cover

Mercedes_G-class_Rigid_Angle_Logo_500__64849.1301358529.jpg

The hard plastic would be great for mounting an access cover, but this is an expensive way to gain a little storage, and the idea will not work with standard wheels, they would have to be dully wheels.

Charles

I just went to your Youtube channel and saw that you have a Pleasure Way Ontour 2.2, which has dual rear wheels. I think the Transit uses 16 inch rims also and would have room enough inside the spare wheel. If you plan on using it for storing a sewer hose or fittings, I would seriously consider sewing up some kind of "bag" that fits the contours of the inside of the wheel, so you are not getting the nasty dribble, etc on the rim. In any case this would be something you would want to take apart after a long trip and clean up.

After looking, it appears that the Transit comes with a spare hung underneath (just make sure you keep the mechanism cleaned and lubed so you can get it down when needed) so you might consider a 5 inch PVC square fence post that everyone else uses for a sewer hose holder, mounted underneath across the van.

Hope you enjoy your new ride. The Youtube channel From She to Me travels the American West in a Pleasure Way Sprinter and has lots of small van living tips along with the excellent videos of their travels.

Just now used the search box at the top of the forum pages and put in PVC Fence Post and got this....
PVC Fence Post search results

Charles

Back
Top Bottom