Rear video camera a monitor.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gargoyle158

2008 Damon Challenger. Looks like the rearview camera and monitor is going. Monitor is rolling after a few hours of use. It is also old so update won't hurt B/W system. Not sure if I should stay with the wired or go wireless. Also want to stay with the 7inch monitor mounted in the dash, inside the same trim. Thoughts, ideas, opinions, suggestions??

Wired is still more consistently reliable, but installation can sometimes be a challenge. That gives wireless an advantage. However, you can usually drop a new wire down under the coach from the dash and then underneath to the rear and up behind the rear cap.

Your biggest challenge will be finding a display head to fit in the existing opening and trim.

Lots of products and info available online. Google is your friend.

And here are some sources for help:

When the OEM BW rear monitor on our coach failed I replaced it with a wired two camera system. I mounted both cameras just below the rear clearance lights with one aimed for the long view, and the other one aimed down giving me a view from the rear bumper back about 20 feet. I can back up to within a couple of inches of obstructions with this setup.

When the OEM BW rear monitor on our coach failed I replaced it with a wired two camera system. I mounted both cameras just below the rear clearance lights with one aimed for the long view, and the other one aimed down giving me a view from the rear bumper back about 20 feet. I can back up to within a couple of inches of obstructions with this setup.
That's a great idea! (y)

And it's fun to see people panic that don't realize you CAN see that post getting closer and closer... ;)
Reminds me of days of old when I had a VW van with a passenger next to me that had not ridden in a vehicle with virtually no "nose". I'd pull up to to another car in stopped traffic or when parking and they'd be on the edge of their seat expecting to witness a crash any moment. o_O

How/where did you run the wires for your new system-- assuming the old ones needed upgrading?

Reminds me of days of old when I had a VW van with a passenger next to me that had not ridden in a vehicle with virtually no "nose". I'd pull up to to another car in stopped traffic or when parking and they'd be on the edge of their seat expecting to witness a crash any moment. o_O

How/where did you run the wires for your new system-- assuming the old ones needed upgrading?
Yep, I had a VW Westfalia camper conversion and had passengers do the same thing. ;)

I ran new wiring to the back since I didn't trust the original wiring. The camera set I bought on Amazon came with two 50 foot cables that I ran from the dash down to the driver's side frame rail back to the rear and up through the rear cap to the original camera location. Fishing the cables up through the cap was "fun" (not!), but doable with patience.

I wired my backup camera to be on full time to be an actual rear view mirror because I could see very little out the back window. I tried wireless but had interference problems around airports, in metro areas where there was a lot of electric interference, and even on the highway from semi trucks with radios hot enough to talk to China. I ran the wires through a split wiring loom for protection attached with zip ties to the factory chassis wiring all the way to the back. I got a wide angle (fisheye) camera that fastens over the top of the license plate so I can see both the ground, overhanging limbs, and tailgaters. I ran the wires in the back cap out of the license plate light fixture.

Hi Dutch,

Old thread but I had bookmarked your comments about your updated two camera system. Interested as to what cameras you used for the new install? Also, I assume you replaced your OEM B&W monitor and wondering how involved a process it was to swap out the old with the new?

Hi Dutch,

Old thread but I had bookmarked your comments about your updated two camera system. Interested as to what cameras you used for the new install? Also, I assume you replaced your OEM B&W monitor and wondering how involved a process it was to swap out the old with the new?
On edit: I just noticed the camera system I bought has apparently been replaced with this on:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VJJ261C/?th=1

The Esky 7-inch dual camera system I used is currently unavailable on Amazon, but here's the link for it:

I made a filler for the original dash opening from some scrap plastic painted to match and attached the monitor to it. The hardest part was routing the two cables down to the frame and up the rear cap to the original camera location.

The system has been in use since 2014 with no problems until recently when one of the cameras started fogging up. My examination found that a seal on the camera had failed, allowing water into the housing. I found a similar plug compatible replacement on Amazon for $32.

Last edited:
On edit: I just noticed the camera system I bought has apparently been replaced with this on:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VJJ261C/?th=1

The Esky 7-inch dual camera system I used is currently unavailable on Amazon, but here's the link for it:

I made a filler for the original dash opening from some scrap plastic painted to match and attached the monitor to it. The hardest part was routing the two cables down to the frame and up the rear cap to the original camera location.

The system has been in use since 2014 with no problems until recently when one of the cameras started fogging up. My examination found that a seal on the camera had failed, allowing water into the housing. I found a similar plug compatible replacement on Amazon for $32.

Great-- thanks much Dutch. I'll check this system out and let you know what I come up with!

Back
Top Bottom