Reattaching floor tiles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlazar

I have several floor tiles starting to come up at the corners.  I push down on them and they stay for a while but then begin raising again.  They are approximately 12x12.  What type of adhesive do you recommend to reglue them?  The tiles themselves are in pretty good shape.  I think the adhesive just may be getting old.  MH is 7 years old but I don't know if the tiles are original.  It is in an area just to the right of the steps into the coach where the lounge/recliner sits.  I don't know if temp/humidity from the door is part of the cause.  No water issues.  Really don't want to look at replacing the floor since the tiles are all in pretty good shape.  I want to make sure I don't use something that won't come up if ever I do want a new floor.

Try a little contact cement. apply to both surfaces let dry then push it down. a little weight on top for a while won't hurt either.

Steve

3M makes a good spray on adhesive found at most any auto parts store. Spray both sides as other reply and you can pull them up at a later date. Regular paint thinner sparingly on a small cloth will remove any residue. It appears ,as I have seen many times when replacing customers home floors, dirt gets in cracks and works the adhesive loose. You might try a tile joint sealer that matches your color tile.

What is happening: the edges have lost their adhesive properties due to dust and dirt. Take a hair dryer, warm the tiles, and with a steady up motion, remove the tile. and clean the area super clean. use contact cement with a small brush- and like said above- let it dry to the touch and reinstall it.

Thanks to all for the info and especially Ernie for the detailed steps.  If I ever do get new flooring, I will be contacting you Ernie.  I have seen the great work you do on your website and read all the praise from forum members.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natalihu
Back
Top Bottom