Recliner vs Euro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceinFL

We have a Flexsteel ultra-leather swivel recliner, model 266R-52, which came in my Alpenlite 5er. We rarely, if ever, use it because it's too big and heavy to move every time we set up and extend the slide. (Have to move it when the slide comes in and move it to use it after the slide goes out.) We are looking to replace it with a Euro style recliner which we figure would be somewhat smaller and easier to maneuver. What do you guys (that have a Euro) think of the Euro recliners? Are you happy with them? Anybody out there want to trade?

Bruce,

We bought the Ekornes Euro recliner, partly because we wanted it to do double duty as a work (desk) chair. We've been very pleased with it. If you go this way, I suggest you visit a store and sit in them. Ekornes has numerous models, some of which I found uncomfortable and others were very comfortable. Each of their chairs comes in 3 different sizes and 3 or 4 different leather qualities.

These chairs are not recilners in the sense of having an attached footrest - they come with a detached otto.

We replaced our barrel chair with a Lafer recliner with builtin footrest.  The footrest stores underneath the chair when not in use and there is only the one piece of furniture instead of two.  The Ekornes are nice chairs also, but we prefered the Lafer.  As Tom suggested, try the various models before buying as none of them are inexpensive.

Bruce, definitely go with the Euro style.  You can't beat the Ekornes, but it is also the most expensive.  I have seen several knock-off, some of which were fine.  Long term, the Ekornes is your best bet.  Very flexible, and comfortable.

Rex

I dont know if looks count for anything but those Euros are great looking.  I think they look better than a recliner.  Then again a good recliner is so comfortable.  On looks alone I'd vote for the Euros.

Rex said:
You can't beat the Ekornes, but it is also the most expensive.  I have seen several knock-off, some of which were fine.  Long term, the Ekornes is your best bet. 

Bruce

The Ekornes isn't always the most expensive. When we had TS replace the J-Lounge that was originally installed, the price they quoted us for the Flexsteel Euro was more than we paid for our Ekornes. We saw the Ekornes in Chicago the following weekend where it was on sale (normally around Memorial and Labor Days) for a couple of hundred $s less than the Flexsteel and a computer table was thrown in for free.

Didn't do a price comparison because we were matching Flexsteel covering when we replaces a recliner with a Euro and foot stool.

What a difference! We can use the stool for the couch or chair and the Euro is much easier to move and more comfortable.

BernieD said:
Bruce

The Ekornes isn't always the most expensive. When we had TS replace the J-Lounge that was originally installed, the price they quoted us for the Flexsteel Euro was more than we paid for our Ekornes. We saw the Ekornes in Chicago the following weekend where it was on sale (normally around Memorial and Labor Days) for a couple of hundred $s less than the Flexsteel and a computer table was thrown in for free.

My Flexsteel recliner lists for $1240 at Bradd & Hall. I think Flexsteel is way overpriced for what you get.

Thanls all for the input. Will go for the Euro for sure. Couple of years ago they were all over the place in the furniture stores but we went looking this weekend and they are pretty scarce in the stores around here. Hate to buy on the internet because you can't buy a chair without sitting in it first...they're all pretty much different. Will continue looking but meanwhile we've taken the Flexsteel out of the RV which makes it a couple hundred pounds lighter.  ;)

Looks like we need a trip to North Carolina for some furniture shopping.  ;D

BruceinFL said:
My Flexsteel recliner lists for $1240 at Bradd & Hall. I think Flexsteel is way overpriced for what you get.

Our Lafer recliner with integral foot rest didn't cost anywhere near that.  It was under $1000.

I worked of Flexsteel, product is very over priced.  NC shopping for Furniture ??? No bargains.  Shop locally, sit, try and buy locally. BUT do not over pay.  Check prices from NC and internet.  Most locals will meet NC prices and give service. 

Trust me on this one.  Now everything is made in China. Sadly my retail stores couldn't exist if we only bought from USA.
GI Joe

BruceinFL said:
Thanls all for the input. Will go for the Euro for sure. Couple of years ago they were all over the place in the furniture stores but we went looking this weekend and they are pretty scarce in the stores around here.

Hi Bruce,

Seems to me a few years ago I wanted  something from Ekornes and went to their web site and found a furniture dealer  about 40 miles from me. I found  something even better than I thought I wanted!  They even had free delivery.  Check their web site.

Betty 

OK, thanks for the advice. I'll try to shop locally GI Joe and I'll check out Ekornes websire Betty.

braddandhall.com has some good deals and zero shipping.

I agree with Ned on the convenience of the Lafer with the built-in footrest.  I actually had a top of the line Ekornes and switched to the Lafer to get some floor space back in my tiny mh.  However, the Lafer wasn't comfortable enough, so I gave that away as well and have a cheap upright office chair from Sam's Club.  For a footstool I use a small piano seat from Radio Shack.  I have found that, while the chair doesn't recline, it's more comfortable, and I tend to switch positions a lot, which is better for circulation. 

I was in a store trying out an Ekornes a few weeks ago when my back had twisted from something, and I couldn't get over how painful it was to sit in the Ekornes.  Recliners tend to make my back numb also.

--pat

Pat said:
...the Lafer wasn't comfortable enough...

That's why I didn't buy one. It looked really great in the store, until I sat in it. I knew immediately I wouldn't be buying it. Went back to it several times, but no. Comfort is like beauty - it's in the eye of the beholder or, in the case of chairs, in their back and butt. What's very comfortable for one is agony for another. I go for comfort over looks.

On the other hand, I love my Lafer. I can even nap in it :)  And we especially like not having to stow a second piece of furniture (the ottoman) when travelling.  I, too, go for comfort over looks :)

We don't need to "stow the ottoman". It stays in the same place, moving or camped, slideout in or out  ;D

I was extremely surprised to find that Bernie and I chose the exact same model of Ekornes chair. I suspect that has something to do with our respective posture and maybe some dimensions  ;D

But you don't have the table we have.  There is no room for another piece of furniture here when we're in travel configuration.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom