Recomendations for tripod satellite internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seven

I just recently had one and it was A PAIN to set up.  Swinging it left to right, elevating it up and down, twisting the polarization, tightening and loosening bolts to adjust and point to find signal and what not.  I'm not sure if it was due to the satellites in the sky or the sloppy tripod my system came with. 

Does anybody have a tripod satellite that sets up rather easily and doesn't require a great deal of time and stress to get a good signal and stay locked on?

A number of folks here use tripod systems. Mine wasn't "sloppy" and was usually easy to set up, but I've since moved it to the roof of the coach. Takes even less time to set up.

Click here to find a HughesNet certified installer who might be able to help, depending on where you're located. Contact him privately.

Thank you.  no, I meant the tripod I got was sloppy, it was a pole in the center, like a pole used for a fence LOL

I know it takes getting used to, but how intense was it for you to set up your tripod system? and how reliable was the signal?  I want to use this for a business I do on the road.  Rooftop would be beautiful except I won't always know if I'll be able to park in an accomodating fashion depending on which venue I'm selling at. Thanks for the reply!

Seven said:
....how intense was it for you to set up your tripod system? and how reliable was the signal?

Using the correct procedure, it was relatively easy and quick. When I didn't follow the procedure, the results showed it.

Make sure the tripod is level. I've used PVC, but many use ,metal and actually the cyclone fence posts. Very heavy, but secure. Usually the set up is easy. ....especially if you have a meter ( which I don't).

Seven said:
Thank you.  no, I meant the tripod I got was sloppy, it was a pole in the center, like a pole used for a fence LOL

I know it takes getting used to, but how intense was it for you to set up your tripod system? and how reliable was the signal?  I want to use this for a business I do on the road.  Rooftop would be beautiful except I won't always know if I'll be able to park in an accomodating fashion depending on which venue I'm selling at. Thanks for the reply!

There are basically two tripod designs currently in use, One uses a good, solid, well built surveyors tripod with an "L" bracket, this "L" bracket has a flat metal base (With a hole in it where it attaches to the tripod) a pair of triangle pieces and a pipe piece, the dish is designed to mount on the pipe.  Far as the dish is concerned this is a pipe in the ground.

I like it.

the other one has cables, and a sort of spine shaped offset pipe and to me looks like it would be much harder to set up and quite frankly looks (Again to me) like JUNK!.  I don't like it, I've seen it and I don't like it.

Good day I can go from opening the hatch on my towed to checking my e-mail in 15 minutes, bad day 30

How reliable.. I've had two places I could not connect,  In both cases we think we know why (Outside interference) Once you get used to it it's lovely.

Now, they alaso make automatic roof (and manual roof) mounts.  I have one for television Receive only,  I've had many times (IE: right now) it can't see the sattalite

where did you get yours from, how much was it, and who is the ISP?  Did someone show u how to set up or where there directions.  Thanks again!

Tom said:
Using the correct procedure, it was relatively easy and quick. When I didn't follow the procedure, the results showed it.

Mine came from an installer who buys from the same dealer as the installer I referred you to. Any reputable installer will walk you through the setup process; The one I referred you to won't leave you until he's happy that you can do it yourself. He's provided systems for a number of folks here on the forum.

The ISP is HughesNet, previously known as DirecWay.

Mike never had any problem with our tripod mount internet dish except when there were pesky trees in the way (a lovely park in Kansas comes to mind where he tried for 2 hours before giving up). The roof-mount seems to get set easier. But right now we're at a park in Montrose Colorado with free Wi-Fi and that's the easiest of all.

Do you still have the system and is it activated?  If so we can most likely give you some training and if necessary a good tripod and offset adaptor.  Where are you currently located?  Is your system Hughesnet or Starband?  I'm sure we can help you with either. 
If you still have the system there would be no real reason to purchase another.  Just upgrade the tripod portion if necessary.

I do have it however I canceled my service and arranged for a refund with the seller of the equipment, as I was frustrated with spending three days trying to point it and get good signal. after three days my OPI (which worked off and on) finally got in the 80's, the cros pol test wouldn't go through, it just kept sitting and waiting for a reply.  I wasn't sure if it was the equipment or ISP or what.  the elevation, azimuth, and polarizatin required me to loosen and tighten bolts to adjust(there was an elevation tool but it too had a nut that had to be screwed) but when I would tighten them it would change the signal. I'd like to start fresh. 

Ron said:
Do you still have the system and is it activated?? If so we can most likely give you some training and if necessary a good tripod and offset adaptor.? Where are you currently located?? Is your system Hughesnet or Starband?? I'm sure we can help you with either.?
If you still have the system there would be no real reason to purchase another.? Just upgrade the tripod portion if necessary.

Seven said:
where did you get yours from, how much was it, and who is the ISP?  Did someone show u how to set up or where there directions.  Thanks again!

Where did I get mine from... Ron's Internet Solution.  A link to Ron (in fact a post from Ron) is between your question and my answer, he's the one who offered you training.  he's good at it by the way

Seven said:
I wasn't sure if it was the equipment or ISP or what.? the elevation, azimuth, and polarizatin required me to loosen and tighten bolts to adjust(there was an elevation tool but it too had a nut that had to be screwed) but when I would tighten them it would change the signal. I'd like to start fresh.? ?

Hello Seven:

An alternative to HughesNet (if that is the brand you currently have) is Starband.? However, setting up a dish on a tripod, ground mount, roof mount, or whatever involves pretty much the same process of finding AZ, EL, Skew Adjustment -- then passing Cross Pol. There are a number of methods devised over the past few years by various vendors and installers to make that as easy as possible.

From your posts, it appears your installer hasn't been following up to make sure the method you received is working out for you. I have known and took initial training with the installer mentioned here and can vouch for his lengthy experience, knowledge of setups, and that he will stay with you until you are comfortable with doing your own setups.

If you want to check out Starband, here is their website. There are differences, but if set up properly, you "can" run a business from an RV very effectively with either. I have used DirecWay and now Starband running my business from my RV for about 5 years now -- using ground, tripod, and manual roof mounts.

why did you switch to starband?  Any problems with Direcway?  thanks for all replies everyone :)

Bob Buchanan said:
Hello Seven:

An alternative to HughesNet (if that is the brand you currently have) is Starband.? However, setting up a dish on a tripod, ground mount, roof mount, or whatever involves pretty much the same process of finding AZ, EL, Skew Adjustment -- then passing Cross Pol. There are a number of methods devised over the past few years by various vendors and installers to make that as easy as possible.

From your posts, it appears your installer hasn't been following up to make sure the method you received is working out for you. I have known and took initial training with the installer mentioned here and can vouch for his lengthy experience, knowledge of setups, and that he will stay with you until you are comfortable with doing your own setups.

If you want to check out Starband, here is their website. There are differences, but if set up properly, you "can" run a business from an RV very effectively with either. I have used DirecWay and now Starband running my business from my RV for about 5 years now -- using ground, tripod, and manual roof mounts.

I'm going to post 2 links here,  Tell me if either one of them looks like your tripod.

"New" style of tripod

Old style Tripod

NOTE: On the old one zoom in for a better view,  It shows a tripod which may well be exactly the same as mine, however in the photo it is tied down with guy wires (i use a counterweight)  so you have to mentally subtract the guys

The new one you have to use the wires (from what I understand)

I'm rather glad I have the old kind by the way

your old one does seem easier to use and be more stable since it's closer to the ground.  neither of those are it, here's a pic of the one I had.
<a href=http://i11.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/6a/cb/eb_1.JPG>click here</a>

John In Detroit said:
I'm going to post 2 links here,? Tell me if either one of them looks like your tripod.

"New" style of tripod

Old style Tripod

NOTE: On the old one zoom in for a better view,? It shows a tripod which may well be exactly the same as mine, however in the photo it is tied down with guy wires (i use a counterweight)? so you have to mentally subtract the guys

The new one you have to use the wires (from what I understand)

I'm rather glad I have the old kind by the way

Seven,

Did you receive any training from the seller when you made the purchase or did you just order it and get the system with some written instructions?  I'm sure we can get you some training and get you going.  Personally I do not like these mail order deals where all you get is a set of instructions and no personal training.  I am with Hughesnet (formally Direcway) and have been since about 2001. No reason for me to change.

That looks like mine with chains to keep the legs from spreading too much, or for that matter enough (I'd lengthen those leg chains a bit, oh, say 1 foot each leg, you might want to adjust that)

The tripod in Ron's photo (The guyed one) the tripod is properly set

met the guy in person, he happened to have a home in metro phx, but never gave me personal instruction.  a booklet guided me.  I've been emailing you Ron, haven't heard back.  I'm trying to get a new system and get back online ASAP

Ron said:
Seven,

Did you receive any training from the seller when you made the purchase or did you just order it and get the system with some written instructions?? I'm sure we can get you some training and get you going.? Personally I do not like these mail order deals where all you get is a set of instructions and no personal training.? I am with Hughesnet (formally Direcway) and have been since about 2001. No reason for me to change.

Seven,  I have responded to your e-mail and you responded back.  Another response from me is  in your mail box this morning. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom