Recommendation request on cracked PEX fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonestar Guy

So, I am going to admit right up front that I did not properly fully winterize my Coachmen Freedom Express. I now know better! Aside from not having done it the previous two winters here in Texas, during which I've owned it, and which weren't too bad, it's my first RV and I didn't understand the critical need or take it seriously... again because of the not normally sever climate here in north central Texas. OK, anyway... so you probably know we had that huge weather event, getting down right at ZERO and such and well below freezing for days.

Although I had drained the water heater and water tank and opened all the faucets a couple months before, I was out of town the days leading up to the event... got back the day before (after a month long trip to CA) and had no time to deal with the trailer. I even had antifreeze but never used it or never blew out the lines with the adapter I bought.

I'm paying the price. 1) Cracked kitchen spray facet handle (my upgrade). 2) Cracked shower spray nut where it attaches to the shower spray handle and cracked handle. And finally, 3) just discovered on trip over the last week, apparently a cracked fitting at the back of the shower faucet handle. (see pic).

My question is... Is using some method other than a PEX clamp robust enough for replacing this fitting or should I invest in the proper PRX pincers and 'do it right'? I haven't looked for other methods yet. I think I can manage the PEX clamp and tool.. just curious more than anything. I upgraded the kitchen faucet to a Delta with sprayer but used Sharkbite fittings and added valves, avoiding the PEX tool and clamps.

Thoughts? Other suggestions, while I'm in here? (I may upgrade the faucet..)

Thanks!

Leak.jpg

Last edited:
Sharkbite "push" fittings are made for PEX and require no specialized tooling. They're more expensive than crimp or expansion fittings but for a "field repair" they check the box. I don't trust them for permanent installations like inside a S&B wall but in an RV I think they're plenty durable enough.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Gotcha, thanks. I'm comfortable with Sharkbite. (edited by post to say Sharkbite, not Shark). Looks like this would be the one... ? They make a brass one for clamping as well... I'll probably go this way, but I'm still listening before I commit. :)

I vote for Sharkbite fittings, not cheap, but a lot easier to use in tight spaces, and you don't have to invest in a pex crimper, though you still need a good tubing cutter, as it is important to get a clean perpendicular cut.

I think the fitting I linked above is correct... the 1/2" PEX to 3/4" for the faucet. Oddly enough, it's hard to find at Home Depot and Lowes, even online and even Camping World has no matching items when I search several ways. It IS 1/2" to 3/4", right?

I second MelS's recommendation. When my coach was replumbed with PEX that's what they used. No special tools required, and when I had to replace one I broke, I just used a hair dryer to warm the PEX to ease the installation.

Thanks everyone! Just because of ease of ordering at this point, I went with the SharkBite. If there is any issue, I'll update my post later and convert to Flair-it, I guess.

It looks like it is a 1/2" pipe thread that the threaded part goes on. Pipe is measured by ID so 1/2" pipe is 5/8" OD. I have used both Whale and Seatech's version of Sharkbite fittings for years without an issue.

It looks like it is a 1/2" pipe thread that the threaded part goes on. Pipe is measured by ID so 1/2" pipe is 5/8" OD. I have used both Whale and Seatech's version of Sharkbite fittings for years without an issue.

Yup... I messed up. Got the 1/2" to 3/4" and it was too big! The 3/4" side for the faucet. I reckon it should be 1/2". Also, the SharkBite ones I bought were just so much bulkier than the preexisting fitting... the smaller barbed type! I'm going to go back to the barbed fitting I think. I guess I will cut off as little or invest in a crimping/removal tool since there is so much PEX in the trailer anyway. Arrrgh... I need to better understand how fittings are sized.

Last edited:
I have had experience with Sharkbite fittings and if done properly are very reliable. I have not had experience with Flair-IT fittings, but I see no reason why they would not work equally as well. Personally my preferred method is to use Pex fittings and clamps. Yes it involves getting a Pex clamp tool but I find it a worth while investment. In cases where there is no room to get the tool in place, I would use Sharkbite or Flair-IT. In any case, do replace with a brass fitting and forget plastic fittings.

Yup... I messed up. Got the 1/2" to 3/4" and it was too big! The 3/4" side for the faucet. I reckon it should be 1/2". Also, the SharkBite ones I bought were just so much bulkier than the preexisting fitting... the smaller barbed type! I'm going to go back to the barbed fitting I think. I guess I will cut off as little or invest in a crimping/removal tool since there is so much PEX in the trailer anyway. Arrrgh... I need to better understand how fittings are sized.
OK, finished the project. Based on boatbuilder's response I discovered I got the wrong fittings. Backed up, purchased the ShartBite barbed fittings shown in photo. (I didn't realize they make standard, non-push fit fittings as well.). I bought proper tools for working with PEX (a cutter and a ring clncher ... which I thought was advertised as a ring removal tool but when I got it, the instructions said to removed the ring by another method, lol.. maybe I misread the description.) Removed the old ring and cut the tube below the barbed fitting and installed the new one. The tools worked fine. No leaks now! (BTW, get the 5 pack of fittings at Lowe's. Don't pay 4x as much buying 1 per from SharkBite on Amazon... geez.)

I had to replace the shower hose as well and opted for one of the ribbed metal ones coated with epoxy paint, after reading 'how much better' they were over the 'less flexible' plastic ones. Well, I don't much care for it. I don't find it that much more flexible and it's noisy as heck if you run it through the loop on the tub wall. Oh well...

Attachments

• IMG_5012.jpg
    IMG_5012.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5007.jpg
    IMG_5007.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom