Recommendations: Corvallis, Oregon to Las Vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flock

Hi all, I have an older RV and will be traveling to LAS at the end of July. Looking for a route that avoids steep inclines. Also, a bit worried about the heat during the summer in Nevada. Was thinking of I-5 to I-80 to Fallon, Nv, and then US 95 down to Vegas. I've searched the forum for this route but most are regarding winter travel.

Why not cross the Cascades on 22, 97 south to LaPine and SE toward Lakeview, 395 south. This way your over the Cascades early in your trip the rest of the way is fairly flat with only one short climb before Summer Lake. You can spend your first night at GooseLake SP.
Your idea means 3 long climbs. Two in Oregon and then out of Sac over the mountains. All can be slow and HOT.

Thanks donn, but 22 means backtracking, any idea about 58 to 97?
Also, trying to make Reno in one day.

Welcome to The RV Forum!

58 and 97 follows the route the railroad takes over the Cascades, it's pretty flat. None of the constant ups and downs like on I-5 in southern Oregon. You also miss the Siskiyou grade. I'd take 39 and 139 from Klamath Falls to Susanville, CA then 395 to Reno. 80 and 50 east to Fallon, then 95 south to Las Vegas.

Nevada will be hot, no way around it. But so will be CA's Central Valley. Expect temperatures in the 90s to low 100s either way.

I-5 south of Eugene is constant ups and downs until Grants Pass, then you have the Siskiyou Grade between Ashland and Redding. And another 6000 ft. climb on I-80 between Sacramento and Reno.

IMO trying to get to Reno in a single day is pushing too hard. Especially in hot weather with an older RV. Google Maps figures driving time by dividing the distance along each stretch by the speed limit, you won't be doing this in an older RV. It doesn't include time spent getting gas, getting meals and taking rest stops, etc.

It's 769 miles from Corvallis to Reno. Figure on an average speed in an RV (including fuel and rest stops) to be about 50 MPH and you're looking at 16 hours of driving.

Welcome to The RV Forum!

58 and 97 follows the route the railroad takes over the Cascades, it's pretty flat. None of the constant ups and downs like on I-5 in southern Oregon. You also miss the Siskiyou grade. I'd take 39 and 139 from Klamath Falls to Susanville, CA then 395 to Reno. 80 and 50 east to Fallon, then 95 south to Las Vegas.

Nevada will be hot, no way around it. But so will be CA's Central Valley. Expect temperatures in the 90s to low 100s either way.

I-5 south of Eugene is constant ups and downs until Grants Pass, then you have the Siskiyou Grade between Ashland and Redding. And another 6000 ft. climb on I-80 between Sacramento and Reno.

IMO trying to get to Reno in a single day is pushing too hard. Especially in hot weather with an older RV. Google Maps figures driving time by dividing the distance along each stretch by the speed limit, you won't be doing this in an older RV. It doesn't include time spent getting gas, getting meals and taking rest stops, etc.

It's 769 miles from Corvallis to Reno. Figure on an average speed in an RV (including fuel and rest stops) to be about 50 MPH and you're looking at 16 hours of driving.
769?? Google says 468.6.

Not really, 34/20 takes you straight to Sisters and 97 south. If you dont want to take 31 out of LaPine, continue south on 97 and cut across from KFalls to 395 south. Personally I like 31/395 better. Really interesting country. How big a hurry are you?

Not really, 34/20 takes you straight to Sisters and 97 south. If you dont want to take 31 out of LaPine, continue south on 97 and cut across from KFalls to 395 south. Personally I like 31/395 better. Really interesting country. How big a hurry are you?
Not in a big hurry, but mileage, i.e. fuel costs, are a big factor. Trying to keep costs down to a minimum.

Best way to keep fuel costs down is to slow down. You're driving a big box that has to carve a large hole through the air and wind resistance increases rapidly at high speeds so you'll burn more fuel.

Well, remember your in the valley, so any way you want to go is going to be up hill. Have not been over 58 in a really long time. 20/22 is a pretty steady climb but not steep until the last 25 or so miles. 58 is heavily used by trucks going east. 97 will have some ups and downs from 58 junction to KFalls. 31 is fairly flat from maybe 25 miles from 97 junction with one down hill until Pickle Rock pass a bit north of Silver Lake.

58 has an about 6% climb for 5 miles or so on the west side and an elevation of 5100'. That would be my choice but you said you wanted lesser grades.

20 while is a direct route has some hard pulls up to Tombstone Pass elevation 4200'. Plus the road could be in better shape and is rather curvy and twisty. Then you need to climb Santiam Pass at 4800'.

This is the way I would go but to each there own.
Edit: Should be able to make Reno in a day easy.

Hi all, I have an older RV and will be traveling to LAS at the end of July. Looking for a route that avoids steep inclines. Also, a bit worried about the heat during the summer in Nevada. Was thinking of I-5 to I-80 to Fallon, Nv, and then US 95 down to Vegas. I've searched the forum for this route but most are regarding winter travel.
Lou said: “Nevada will be hot, no way around it. But so will be CA's Central Valley. Expect temperatures in the 90s to low 100s either way…”

Forecast high today in Mesquite, NV, between St. George and Vegas, I-15, is 110 degrees. Triple digits for the next 10 days and likely into August. 3 a/c units running in our 5’er and insulation in all windows and shower skylight. Dog walks at first light!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom