recommendations for a backup camera to install in 30' RV please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryan2

hi....I recently got a 30' RV and would like recommendations on the best higher quality backup camera to install.  my main interest in in help backing up to attach a trailer and to see traffic day and night behind the RV.  don't anticipate towing very much but if there is a system that I could add behind the trailer camera also that would be great.  from what I've read I think I favor a wired system, and I would prefer the largest screen possible.  also, from what I've read a 170-180 degree viewing angle would suit me best.  so any recommendations on specific models an sources (here?) to buy (new or used) would be very much appreciated.  thanks

One thing to keep in mind is that these camera systems continue to improve every year, and they a low end system today likely outperforms a high end system from 5 years ago in terms of image quality, screen brightness, etc., though perhaps not in build quality

You can buy cameras, cable, and monitors individually on eBay and Amazon and put together the system you want if you're interested in a small project.  I got a bullet camera from "eSky" as well as a small LCD monitor and a rocker switch.  Put a small hole in the front of the driver foot well, install a grommet, and run the wires through there under the coach.  A little dab of silicone sealant when the installation is complete and tested will weatherproof it nicely.  They've got different sizes of monitors and they're interchangeable.  I went with a camera that just has a little metal pedestal that its mounted on instead of the license plate mount so that I could make sure it was right in the middle and that the ball for the trailer hitch was visible.  I had a conversion van that I put a camera in once and I used the license plate attached camera which meant that the camera was off center and the bottom of the plate cutout obscured the view of the hitch ball making the whole setup almost useless.  I still need to tidy up the wires on the back of the coach - I ran them up through the corner trim and over to the center behind another trim panel, but it could use a little work - it's just not "neat" enough for my liking.  My thought was to keep the wires exposed, though, to avoid putting another hole in the rig that would need to be sealed and resealed and continually maintained to avoid water damage.

very helpful advice, great practical ideas and the thoughts on running the wires is especially of value as I think all this thru.......very much appreciated.

I agree with NY_Dutch:  rvcams.com is the best source.  If you have any trouble installing, or down the road with the system, they are experts on the systems they sell (and all others too) and will gladly help over the phone.  In addition, they will test components if you send them in.  I have used them for many years and have taken advantage of all these mentioned services.
Jim

Whatever you do stay away from Weldex.

Since the first day we got our coach the %}*& thing has been nothing but a pain in the a$$.  I've replaced the cable, the monitor, and the camera.  None were cheap and none made a difference for more than a few months.  It's been doing this for 7 years!  I had 'professionals' do most of the installs.

I'm at the point that I keep a cane near the drivers seat so I can wack it when it goes blue, black, or just futzing.

I took my original monitor apart and discovered several bad solder joints.  It's probably safe to assume the new monitor has some as well, otherwise the percussive maintenance (wacking it) would not make a difference.

I'll be calling RV cams soon myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom