Recommendations for Cleaning Leather Seats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, Y'all.

The dinette booth leather seats in our 1993 WL need to be cleaned. I sprayed a
little bit of glass cleaner on a cloth and scrubbed a little bit of
the leather booth seat. WOW!!! I had no idea the seat was that dirty!!
Jack said that the glass cleaner was harmful to the leather. What
products do you recommend to clean and condition leather seats in your
coach?

Thanks,
Liz

Liz, once at an FMCA event, Joyce was at the Fansteel booth and asked the vendor

'How do you keep these nice white seats looking so clean with all these people sitting in them and touching them all day?'

He said, let me whisper a little secret in your ear. 'We use baby wipes'.

So that is all we have had to use since and they are wonderful.

Bob

There is a product called "Saddle Soap" (many different makers, most any shoe polish maker makes it)

IT is specifically designed for cleaning leather,,, After all, the driver's seat is your rig's "Saddle" don't you know

That said,,, I do not know if it's best for the job... I kind of like someone else's comment about baby wipes

Leather is after all skin

The Villa guy said NO to saddle soap for cleaning RV furniture.? Saddle soap is good for saddles which are generally natural leather with no dyes added  for color.

Well, when I had my Lincoln Continental with leather seats, I went to the local auto parts store, and they have lots of leather cleaner/conditioners in there, made specifically for auto leather.  It really worked great, cleaned the white leather seats and made them feel smooth as a baby's butt.  Nice and soft to sit in, and protected.  That would be my suggestion.

Liz,

As a former roller skater, keeping those expensive boots good looking and supple was very important. We used one product, and one product only - Lexol (No, not Lysol ::)). It cleans, softens and preserves leather like nothing else. Used to be a specialty item but it can be found now in many shoe and department stores. Comes in a milk chocolate colored plastic bottle. 

Howdy, Y'all.

A big THANK YOU  to all that gave me suggestions about leather cleaners. I have decided to try the Lexol products and Jack has picked up a spray bottle of their cleaner and conditioner.  :)

I did try saddle soap as I had some but I was not really satisfied with the results.

Thanks again.  ;D  ;D

Liz

Liz

Please let us know your results with Lexol. BTW where did Jack buy it?

Thanks

We would also be interested in your results with Lexol.. Since the Villa the manufacturer of our leather furniture recommended against using it or saddle soap.  We have used Lexol on saddles and tack so are familiar with it.

I've purchased a couple leather recliners lately.  The Ekornes came with a sample of Ekornes Hide-Bracer Leather Conditioner Cleaner.  Seems to work ok.  One thing the bottle says, "If color comes off, do not use this product." 

Any of those European/Danish furniture stores should have all sorts of leather furniture and accompanying cleaners.

--pat

Ron said:
The Villa guy said NO to saddle soap for cleaning RV furniture.  Saddle soap is good for saddles which are generally natural leather with no dyes added  for color.

Interesting when you consider

I always find Saddle Soap at shoe stores, Packaged and sold by the major shoe polish companies like Kiwie and shoes are almost never "natural leather" (though I do have a pair of work boots that appear to be)

and 2: I've never seen a natural leather saddle, Most are dyed black that I have seen.. And I've seen a lot of saddles, used to ride

I forget what the Villa guy called the finish on the leather used in Villa furniture and other brands of RV leather furniture but it is different from the process of dying shoes and saddles and such.  Yes I use saddle soap and lexol on our saddles and tack and have used saddle soap on boots.  However, since the maker of our leather furniture recommends against using saddle soap or lexol on their product I will abide by their recommendation.

Liz

Karl said:
Liz,

As a former roller skater, keeping those expensive boots good looking and supple was very important. We used one product, and one product only - Lexol (No, not Lysol ::)). It cleans, softens and preserves leather like nothing else. Used to be a specialty item but it can be found now in many shoe and department stores. Comes in a milk chocolate colored plastic bottle.

I agree with Karl about the use of Lexol. They make two seperate products a cleaner and conditioner it sound like you need both. I use both on the seats in my truck and my wifes car. Look for it at saddle shops if you can find that in Lantana, might have to inland a bit.

Nelson

Tom said:
Liz

Please let us know your results with Lexol. BTW where did Jack buy it?

Thanks

Jack bought it at Pep Boys. I am still testing Lexol against Windex.  ;D  ;D 

Liz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom