recommendations for kingman, Flagstaff, Sedona and the Grand Canyon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wally12

Wife says keep it cool so we are headed to central/northern AZ.  right now planning to overnite it in Kingman & Flagstaff, few days to wk in Sedona and how ever long the Grand Canyon can hold on to us.  What are your recommendations ???

Thanks

Fred

Fred

You have to be a little more specific. What recommendations are your looking for; routing, campgrounds, places to see, places to eat, etc. ??? ???

looking for campgrounds  at Sedona and the G.C. and spots to overnite it in Kingman and Flagstaff. Have a 30 ' 5 er. and in the process of joining Passport America. 

wally12 said:
looking for campgrounds  at Sedona and the G.C. and spots to overnite it in Kingman and Flagstaff. Have a 30 ' 5 er. and in the process of joining Passport America. 

Wally

Dead Horse State Park in Cottonwood, near Sedona, Black Bart's in Flagstaff and Blake Ranch in Flagstaff. I would recommend staying in Williams for the GC and taking the train there and back.

dead horse state park is a superior CG at the N edge of Cottonwood-west of Sedona.

We are planning to take Hwy 89A from Flagstaff thru Sedona, Jerome and Cottronwood to Hwy 89, then North to Williams.  Our rig is a Toyota Tundra, with 24' 5th-wheel travel trailer.  The Mountain West Directory mentions grades up to 12% (which is OK for our rig),  but also cautions of a  "a very sharp hairpin turn" in Jerome.  Has anyone any recommendations regarding the advisability of taking a 38' rig over that route?

Do it as a day trip from Flagstaff. Sedona, Jerome, and 89A are wonderful places to visit but not to drive any kind of large rig. You'll enjoy it much, much more if you're able to view the scenery rather than looking for the next hairpin curve, steep drop off, or missing guardrail.

Where is Smoky when you need him??

Jerome is a tough trip from Cottonwood. If you aren't afraid of heights and drop offs, you can make it. As much a psychological ride as physical:) We thought it was tough just riding in a truck.........FYI.

chas.watson said:
We are planning to take Hwy 89A from Flagstaff thru Sedona, Jerome and Cottronwood to Hwy 89, then North to Williams.? Our rig is a Toyota Tundra, with 24' 5th-wheel travel trailer.? The Mountain West Directory mentions grades up to 12% (which is OK for our rig),? but also cautions of a? "a very sharp hairpin turn" in Jerome.? ?Has anyone any recommendations regarding the advisability of taking a 38' rig over that route?

Let put it this way I wouldn't take my rig over that route.  Beautifull trip in a car. 

chas.watson said:
We are planning to take Hwy 89A from Flagstaff thru Sedona, Jerome and Cottonwood to Hwy 89, then North to Williams.  Our rig is a Toyota Tundra, with 24' 5th-wheel travel trailer.  The Mountain West Directory mentions grades up to 12% (which is OK for our rig),  but also cautions of a  "a very sharp hairpin turn" in Jerome.  Has anyone any recommendations regarding the advisability of taking a 38' rig over that route?

I agree with Wendy. DON'T DO IT! Park the rig in Flagstaff or Cottonwood and do the rest in your tow rig. If you want to park in Cottonwood, come down I-17 to SR260 to Cottonwood. Dead Horse State Park in Cottonwood is very nice. The hairpin turns aren't only in Jerome. There are lots of them between Flagstaff and Sedona and between Jerome and Prescott. Also because of a bad forest fire this spring and depending on how much rain they get, 89A between Flagstaff and Sedona is sometimes closed due to rock and mud slides.

Don,

I could not agree more.  No one towing and in their right mind should take 89A.  The stretch to Jerome would be a nightmare.  A 12% will be tough on that Tundra -- remember altitude reduces HP by 3% per 1000 feet.  A person will be going to Jerome on 80% of his rated power.

Gentelmen, I thnk I"m adding 89A to my "Don't go there" list, (I did take 89, but not "A") 89 itself is an interesting road in places but I think only 8% grades max)

Dead Horse State Park in Cottonwood, near Sedona, Black Bart's in Flagstaff and Blake Ranch in Flagstaff. I would recommend staying in Williams for the GC and taking the train there and back.

BernieD - Did you mean Blake Ranch in Kingman?

Thanks for the replies !? I will definely take your advice..? Your descriptions make 89A sound alot like CA 4 and Ebbitts Pass, which we took our rig over in April.? It was an experience we're not eager to repeat.

I just love reading these threads when you guys are so indecisive on a topic. LOL. 

We will be staying in Williams next summer close to Flagstaff and here in Williams you can do the train ride into the canyon.

Colleen FL

John In Detroit said:
Gentelmen, I thnk I"m adding 89A to my "Don't go there" list, (I did take 89, but not "A") 89 itself is an interesting road in places but I think only 8% grades max)

John,

Don't take 89A entirely off your list. The part we're talking about is between Flagstaff and Prescott. I've driven 89A north of Flagstaff and didn't have any problems.

SR89 between Ashfork and Prescott is OK. Not much out there to look at but it's good two lane road.

As for the train from Williams to Grand Canyon, keep in mind that it leaves you very little time for actually visiting Grand Canyon which is deserving of a full day at the very least. If you take the train, you should still drive up there on your own so you can spend more time sucking up the canyon, the visitor center, and the historic buildings on the rim. Better yet, spend at least one night at the campground or trailer village in the park.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom