Recommendations on a TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1930

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2018
Posts
315
I am looking for a 12 volt TV for my camper. Can someone suggest a specific model that they have had good luck with?
 

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Posts
76,166
Location
West Palm Beach, FL
These days many people buy an inexpensive 120v model and use a cheap inverter to power it. And if you have shore power available some or most of the time, a 120v tv seems a no-brainer.



I have no 12v tv recommendation, but maybe this article will help.

https://campaddict.com/12-volt-tv/
 

breezie

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 5, 2018
Posts
63
This is one of those "supply/demand" situations where the 12v TVs are a smaller part of the market, so therefore more expensive. It's ironic, because part of the weight and heat from a 120v ac TV is the built-in power supply that takes the ac down to about 15-20 v dc.
So in an RV, we hook up inverters that pump out 120v, just to have the tv take it back down to less than 20v. (eye roll). It wouldn't cost manufacturers much to make ALL TVs AC/DC.
Anyway......
I have had great success in a camper and a sailboat with ac/dc televisions from the brand NAXA. One that I bought even has a built in DVD player.
 

1930

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2018
Posts
315
Doing some re-search online I decided to purchase this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supersonic-SC-2412-12-Volt-AC-DC-LED-24-1080p-Digital-HDTV-w-DVD-Player/382394067867?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 cause alot of the reviewers were RV owners and most of them seemed very happy.

Not being much of techy person Im hoping that this one will satisfy and I didnt think the price was bad. The reviewers claimed it didnt rob  the batteries much. It will be seldom used and so I hope it will last a long time.

I need to figure out now what wall holder will adapt to it? Are all TVs carry same bolt pattern on back

Can anyone could tell me that?

I also bought this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Winegard-RVW-395-Sensar-IV-White-DTV-HD-TV-Antenna/173554625034?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 antenna cause it seemed like this was the one everyone liked.

I think there is some sort of enhancer but Im not sure what that is all about or how to search for that?
 

1930

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2018
Posts
315
Can someone explain to me about this enhancer or booster, maybe give me a model number.
 

breezie

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 5, 2018
Posts
63
Sheesh 1930,

I thought I could do you a favor and look up the Supersonic specs online.

There is a debate there about whether this TV even has mounting holes.

Just measure the distance between the 4 threaded holes on the back of your Supersonic when you get it.

My guess would be about 100mm between bolts.

P.S. it does seem to be highly rated?for the price.
 

John From Detroit

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Posts
26,285
Location
Davison Michigan
Regarding the antenna choice (Sensar IV) Some folks brag about a lesser antenna but my standard for a good RV antenna is RANGE.  50 miles plus is good and this antenna can do it.  But it does have to POINT at the transmitter (The arm the short elements are on points toward the tower)

Add the SENSAR PRO module in place of the standard wall plate and it's even better..  I do not believe a better RV antenna is made.. OH.. what I"m watching if I look up at the tv is described in the first paragraph.

As for the TV. it most likely has one of the two standard mounting hole configuration on teh back. there are only 2 that I've seen and standatrd mounts fit both.

Mine id mounted with side brackets and I had to drill (Carefully making sure I did not drill into electronics) to mount.
 

1930

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2018
Posts
315
Antenna not here yet, can someone explain to me how it works, Ive read I have to turn it, Ok so is this mounted on roof and a handle is in the cabin and I need to turn handle? Or what? Thanks
 

CincyGus

Active member
Joined
Jun 9, 2018
Posts
35
Location
Cincy, Ohio
Here is the booster you want that John from Detroit mentions.
https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RFL-342-SensarPro-Signal-Strength/dp/B004NFTOLY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
I agree with him that the antenna you've chosen is great and this will help you identify what direction to aim and boost the signal.

Most TV's have either a 100mm, 200mm or 400mm bolt pattern on the back to screw mounts into.
I buy most of my mounts from monoprice.com. They have everything from flat mounts, articulating mounts or just tilt mounts. Depending on the height your mount is located is what I would use to determine which I would prefer. I generally lean towards articulating if for no other reason than it's a lot easier to see what your doing when you hook up HDMI, audio and antenna cables if you can pull it a couple inches from the wall. Those flat mounts can be a bear sometimes with where they place the ports for hookups. Trying to hold a mirror, aim a head lamp and wiggle a cable in for 15 minutes can send you to the chiropractor the next day, lol.
 

1930

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2018
Posts
315
CincyGus said:
Here is the booster you want that John from Detroit mentions.
https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RFL-342-SensarPro-Signal-Strength/dp/B004NFTOLY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
I agree with him that the antenna you've chosen is great and this will help you identify what direction to aim and boost the signal.

Most TV's have either a 100mm, 200mm or 400mm bolt pattern on the back to screw mounts into.
I buy most of my mounts from monoprice.com. They have everything from flat mounts, articulating mounts or just tilt mounts. Depending on the height your mount is located is what I would use to determine which I would prefer. I generally lean towards articulating if for no other reason than it's a lot easier to see what your doing when you hook up HDMI, audio and antenna cables if you can pull it a couple inches from the wall. Those flat mounts can be a bear sometimes with where they place the ports for hookups. Trying to hold a mirror, aim a head lamp and wiggle a cable in for 15 minutes can send you to the chiropractor the next day, lol.

Thanks for the link, my antenna arrived tonight, unfortunately the seller assumed it would be ok to throw it into an oversized box with little packaging material and amazingly it didnt survive the trip so now I not only get to waste my time repackaging and transporting this thing back to post office I get also get to shop around for another and wait.

Gotta love e-bay
 

lynnmor

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2013
Posts
1,586
1930 said:
Thanks for the link, my antenna arrived tonight, unfortunately the seller assumed it would be ok to throw it into an oversized box with little packaging material and amazingly it didnt survive the trip so now I not only get to waste my time repackaging and transporting this thing back to post office I get also get to shop around for another and wait.

Gotta love e-bay

We buy a lot of collectable glassware on e-bay, those items that are damaged due to poor packaging gets the seller a poor rating. 
 

1930

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2018
Posts
315
lynnmor said:
We buy a lot of collectable glassware on e-bay, those items that are damaged due to poor packaging gets the seller a poor rating.
Seems like E-bays sellers have really gone downhill, I buy ALOT of things on E-bay and Ive seen the decline. I think sellers are getting the shaft on E-bay from E-bay and bad people purchasing and taking advantage of E-bays system so its a shame
 

1930

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2018
Posts
315
Stupid question maybe but my TV https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supersonic-SC-2412-12-Volt-AC-DC-LED-24-1080p-Digital-HDTV-w-DVD-Player/382394067867?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 arrived and for some reason it has a regular power cord and it also has one that could be plugged into a cigarette lighter?

I assumed since the listing said 12 volt that it was strictly 12 volt but apparently or Im not sure then what the difference is between this TV  and a regular TV.

In any case what do you guys suggest as to getting ( what Im assuming Im gonna use ) 12 volt power to the rear of the camper? Maybe just splice into the closest 12 volt source I can find and feed off of that.....cut the cig lighter adapter of the cord they gave me and wire it up that way, or how?

I am a little disturbed that it was advertised as 12 volts and yet it has a common plug for an ordinary outlet provided with it, I opted for 12 volt cause Im trying to be frugal with battery consumption.

For the price I paid I could have gotten a much bigger screen and just plugged it into one of my outlets.

Am I confused on something?
 

Larry N.

Well-known member
Joined
May 26, 2010
Posts
9,142
Location
Westminster, Colorado
If you can plug it into a cigarette lighter plug, then it's a 12V DC unit. The other cord is basically a wall wart (may be internal), or at least a converter to change the wall 120V AC into 12V DC for the TV. So you got what you asked for, plus a bonus to allow you to use it both ways. That's common for 12 V devices.
 

1930

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2018
Posts
315
Larry N. said:
If you can plug it into a cigarette lighter plug, then it's a 12V DC unit. The other cord is basically a wall wart (may be internal), or at least a converter to change the wall 120V AC into 12V DC for the TV. So you got what you asked for, plus a bonus to allow you to use it both ways. That's common for 12 V devices.

I did not know that, thanks

So basically dont take it into the house and plug it in? Just to clarify
 

Larry N.

Well-known member
Joined
May 26, 2010
Posts
9,142
Location
Westminster, Colorado
I think you misread what I wrote. You certainly may use the "regular power cord" to plug in when in the house, but not the lighter plug (unless you have a 12V DC adapter to plug it into). But you still can plug the lighter cord into a lighter receptacle in the RV. So you can do either one, allowing you to use the TV both in places.
 

1930

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2018
Posts
315
Larry N. said:
I think you misread what I wrote. You certainly may use the "regular power cord" to plug in when in the house, but not the lighter plug (unless you have a 12V DC adapter to plug it into). But you still can plug the lighter cord into a lighter receptacle in the RV. So you can do either one, allowing you to use the TV both in places.
So do Rvs typically have lighter outlets located throughout their cabins?

Im still wondering how Im gonna get power to the TV in the location I want to place it

Maybe Im expected to cut the end of the lighter cord off and hardwire it in by running a jumper wire from the nearest 12 volt hot wire?
 
Top Bottom